Smartphone pictures pose privacy risks

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by TheKid7, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Smartphone pictures pose privacy risks:
    YouTube Video:

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vARzvWxwY

The link to the article is below the YouTube video.

2. JackmanG

JackmanG Former Poster

Yeah I linked to this crap here. This is almost nothing more than pure fearmongering.

The incompetency of the "Internet Crime Expert" is a totally different side of what makes this whole thing so laughable.

But for the "we can get better ratings the more we scare people" aspect, notice how they have no problem flashing up names everyone knows like "Facebook"...yet fail to mention that the most popular sites like that have been stripping exif data from images since at least 2008.

That's why despite all the names they flash up on the screen, they make their news staffer lady use Photobucket...because that's one of the last remaining hosts that leaves the data intact.

I'm sure the prep for this "news story" went something like this:

"Get me a female staffer who has a young child. .... Okay...Susan? Here's the deal, we're doing a story and we need you to take some pictures of your kid. No you can't use that digital camera you like so much, you need to use your iPhone. Okay, but make sure the geotagging feature is turned on, and the phone is not in airplane mode. Okay now we need you to upload the pictures online. No not on facebook. That won't show any info. No not on Flickr. That won't work either. We need you to use something called Photobucket. You've never heard of it? It's a website like Facebook, but just for uploading pictures. No, I don't know why someone wouldn't just use Facebook. Look, it doesn't matter, just go ahead and create an account there, because we know you only use Facebook, and that won't help the story."

"Okay now we need to you set your permissions on your new Photobucket account so that anyone and everyone can see your pictures. No, you need to go in your privacy settings and make sure that all the photos are public, so that they can be openly searched and anyone can find them. Okay now we need you to name your pictures in such a way that it identifies there's a kid in the picture. Got it? Okay great. Now watch what we can do with the magic of the Internet...."​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.