Smart Security Suite - How Good is it ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by smithlee, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smithlee

smithlee Registered Member

I am planning on buying either ESET Smart Security 3.0 or Kaspersky IS 2009 shortly.

I know for a fact and have read numerous places elsewhere that NOD32 Antivirus is simply the best compared to other competitors!! Kaspersky prolly only comes close to competing with it.

However with the new Smart Security suite including Spyware and Firewall, from what i have read on the web these 2 components are really not up to it. And KIS 2009 antispyware firewall component is just top notch from what i have read

After reading: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2214773,00.asp
    Maybe the above report is biased but i dont see many other reviews out there yet that has anything positive to say about firewall n antispyware
    for this smart security suite.

It seems firewall and spyware protection is really mediocre and since this is ESETs first attempt for a suite , maybe this is expected.

How true is it though that the firewall (some say its same as windows firewall ) n antispyware/malware detection is not up to scratch??

What i am wanting to know is how likely is that ESET will fine tune and make its firewall n antispyware top notch in its next release?? Also will this take them ages to get there like in 2 years etc? Coz i m ok to buy ESET for 1 yr license provided the shortfall is fixed sooner rather then take them years to get there.

Only the antispyware n firewall protection performance of smart security is making me have second thoughts on buying it n to go with KIS 2009
    otherwise i would have bought it by now based on their solid AV performance history.

Those who own smart security - what are ur experiences with it as far as spyware detection n firewall performance goes?

Any opinions on this will be appreciated

Thanks

Lee

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. clyde123

clyde123 Registered Member

I would be wary of Kaspersky : ref their update in December which quarantined Windows Explorer. You could google for all the details if needed.
    Obviously very poor testing to make such a ballsup.

3. saberfox

saberfox Former Poster

Is ESET really any better with their mass FPs a few weeks ago - twice - that crippled entire networks, and their latest update failure fiasco?

That said, every product suffers from the occasional hiccup every now and then. One FP is hardly tantamount to the negativity you're trying to attach to it.

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Did you read OP question? :rolleyes:

5. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

This looks like an a vs b thread, or atleast its going to be unless people start listing technical reasons instead of personal opinions.

6. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

ESET SMART SECURITY 3.0 IS VERY LIGHT ON SYSTEM RESOURCES, YOU WONT EVEN NOTICE IT PROTECTING YOU. BUT IT DOES PROTECT YOU.

7. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I still own a Valid Lic to smart security. but with all the problems they have had as of late. and No fix for the CPU bug that affects sooo many people I have decided to go with a much more stable product. But this is my Experience yours could very. and be alot better then my own. the recommended action would be simply try the 30 day trial for your self see what you think of it how it "feels" to you.

8. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

What I can say:

Eset Smart Security has a not-so-good spyware detection, the firewall is very basic, doesn't have any self protection, doesn't have any behaviour blocker.

Overall it's a good suite, but between ESS and KIS I'd go for KIS

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  9. Kayracc

Kayracc Registered Member

Suppose i'll chime in here, the firewall is bare bones, but so is many many many many many others firewalls, if your looking between kaspersky and eset, kaspersky is the clear winner

spyware there aern't alot of av's super good, never tried kaspersky but eset's spyware is probably average, not great, and not terrible :)

-Brian

10. subset

subset Registered Member

It's also Kaspersky's first attempt with their HIPS automat.

ESS offers less features than KIS, but you can always add ThreatFire or PRSC to ESS, or a HIPS instead.

So I would survey ESS w/ ThreatFire and KIS on trial to receive an impression of both.

Cheers

11. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

they are both good but my experineces is Kiss is the better of the two because tho ESET has fewer FP the spyware is not strong & it's firewall isn't quite up to snuff IMHO...

12. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

I'd be wary about PC Mags review. Both have full featured trials you could use and decide for yourself.

To me though Version 3 of ESS seems to go from bad to worse from what I experienced with huge CPU spikes that killed my system and what you see here at Wilders although some will defend it to extremes because of years of excellent performance. KIS 2009 will take a while to settle I think.

I've used both and preferred KIS. It's got more to it and I much preferred the firewall and I like HIPs so....

However, I decided putting all your eggs in one basket with a suite did not suite me and went for stand alone products. It takes some time to find the right combo that don't conflict etc but hey thats half the fun!

13. saberfox

saberfox Former Poster

In Automatic Mode ESS' firewall is essentially identical to Windows Firewall, except for an IDS module (not really important, unless you have open ports, which shouldn't be the case if the firewall is doing its job) and an anti-ARP feature that does work, but not very well. In Interactive Mode, what I really dislike is that the firewall has no learning mode or whitelists, so you must manually allow or deny every application by hand. And of course, ESS has always scored poorly at leak tests, but you decide whether that's important to you.

The anti-spyware is also quite mediocre. Not bad, but not very good either. And post-infection cleanup has always been a problem, especially with the more stubborn Vundo/Smitfraud variants.

One more thing that you should be aware of is that, unlike KIS, ESS has very poor (read: almost non-existent) self-protection. Suites that have this weakness are especially problematic, because if a virus disables ESS, there goes your antivirus AND firewall in one swoop. :argh:

14. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I found ESS to be very light on my laptop. Unfortunately, I also got infected during the short time I was using it. I have installed KIS 2009 and find it is just as light and the protection seems more solid with Kasperskys improving heuristics, rapid definition updates and HIPS.

15. ablatt

ablatt Registered Member

Saberfox, who's product do you like for post-infection cleanup? I run NOD32 AV only and have thought about switching to Avira Premium but I've heard it's cleaning abilities are weak as well. Are you promoting KIS?

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Suites are like the Model T. Outdated and useless in todays market. But they sure do sell and will for a few more years until people realize that like gasoline, there are better alternatives.

17. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Kind of like setting up a pipe to the driver seat. eat a can of beans and let her rip.

now on the subject Eset seems to be having problems with Rootkits as of late. Tho so is a lot of other people my original suggestion still stands try it out for your self see what you like give the other ones a whirl. see what you like AV's come in all different flavors. :cool:

18. Jin K

Jin K Registered Member

KIS 2009 is one of the best at infection cleanup he can disinfect any pc that been infected with such a virus!! for example Backdoor.sinowal ، Trojan-PSW.Win32.OnLineGames.qln Known as Amvo.exe

19. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

why dont you try bitdefender internet security 2008. a lot of reviews recommend this product but i havent use this either. ha ha ha.

20. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

If you are into NOD32, stick with the AV... For firewalls, there are better (and ever free) alternatives. ;)

21. guest

guest Guest

panda's true prevent has HIPS aotomat many years.

22. Kayracc

Kayracc Registered Member

someone mentioned avira

The detection is second to none

the heuristics is better than eset(atleast i think so from what i've run into)

the response to my submissions, AAAA+++, usually less than 3-4hrs from my submission do i get a response saying 'malware, adding into vdf xxxx'

cleanup not so well, not so well at all :)

thats the only thing that really bugs me about eset, takes weeks to add definitions sometimes, while much of the stuff i find isn't terrible, nor spreading rapidly, it's still out there

-Brian

23. jazan4u

jazan4u Registered Member

smart security is better than kasper
    befor few months i wrote a comaring article between most antivirus software depending on data of most trusted independent cybersecurity testing organizations as:
    ICSA Labs
    www.icsalabs.com
    -West Coast Labs
    www.westcoastlabs.org

- CheckVir
    www.checkvir.com
    -VirusBulletin
    www.virusbtn.com

- AV-Comparatives.org

www.av-comparatives.org

- AV-Test GmbH
    www.av-test.de

-antiVirus Testing Center (aVTC) University of Hamburg

http://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vtc
    http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/AGN/vtc/index.htm
    ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/...s/tests/pc-av/

-Virus Research Unit at the University of Tampere
    http://www.uta.fi/laitokset/virus
    -University of Magdeburg
    http://www.av-test.de

the advantage was for NOD32 and after publishing it on most famous arabic forums, thousands of people get ride of kasper with it's faulse reputation.
    which is the best Antivirus

http://www.bramjnet.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=392264
    http://www.swalif.net/softs/swalif49/softs205936/

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.