Smart Security Configurations..Help

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by CRoz, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRoz

CRoz Registered Member

Hi
    Today i installed Nod32 Smart security 3.0.672 but after installed Nod blocked my Hostfile .I cant open Hostman(Hostfile manager) anymore but in Task Manager shows this is open ..i tried but then i gave up... I didn't find in Application filter or somewhere any of my software installed list either so i can allow Hostman.

And another one am I able to block any outgoing ( i want that will be blocked for any kind of update or anything) traffic on a specific application .exe .i mentioned before i didnt find any of my installed programs list..

If someone can give me instructions so i can able to use this best security program.........

Any help would be appreciated...............

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Open ESET Smart Security , press F5 to open the Advanced Setup tree

Try to add the program's files in the Exclusions list so that the ESET product won't scan them at all

Navigate to the Exclusions . Press the Add button . Browse to the program's directory and press OK . It will them appear in a format like this C:\~path here~\*.*

Now , press the Edit button and manually delete the last .* so that the correct exclusions path ends with one * only , for example

C:\Program files\Games\Program\AOM\*

Check this out:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=197730&d=1203060510

Yes . You need to use either Interactive mode or Policy-based mode
    http://training.eset.com/kb/index.php?option=com_kb&Itemid=29&page=articles&articleid=104

Basic instructions after you have applied Interactive mode or Policy-based mode

Open Personal firewall > Rules and zones > Zone and rule setup
    Choose "Toggle detailed view of all rules"

Start creating new rule (use the button called "New")

Name : your choice
    Direction : Out
    Action : Deny
    Protocol : TCP & UDP (most likely this one)

In Local tab - specify the application you wish to block here

Additionally , you can insert the ports it might use locally to establish the outgoing connection . If nothing is entered , ESS will block on any ports.

In Remote choose - here you can enter the IP address or the IP range of the machine(s) this exe is going to connect to , or specify the remote ports . If no IP or port is added , the outgoing access of this exe , to any IP and port will be denied.

When ready , confirm with OK . Press Apply . Try again.

3. CRoz

CRoz Registered Member

Thanks for reply nice explanations......but problem is after installed NOD32 Hostman not open anymore and CPU usages 50-60% with svchost.exe (i think)

So if i in Interactive mode or policy mode this program must open first then i can allow this right but if this is blocked i think from beginning and i i didnt find any Hostman name thr so how??

Sorry if this is too newbie question ......

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

svchost.exe's web traffic can be excluded from scanning , as well . CPU going high because of svchost.exe might be because of Windows Update , for e.g.

From your 1st post I understand that this Hostman is an application . Its files can be excluded from scanning . Try to exclude the folder where this program is located , reboot and try to open the program . If it still doesn't work , you can contact ESET and send information so that they check why this is happening .

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Is this still occurring?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.