Smart Security Anti-Spam Questions

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by guruuno, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guruuno

guruuno Registered Member

I've just downloaded and installed the latest version of Eset Smart Security to test out on a customers laptop. Previously, I used NOD32 Anti-Virus with Counterspy. After a discussion with Mike Rosenstock (East Coast rep. for ESET), I figured it was time to give it a shot, since before this latest version, I did have a few minor things that I wasn't too thrilled about.

In any event, generally, it appears to be the 1-stop solution. Thanks Mike!!

However, 2 questions:

1> Customer states that e-mails in Outlook go directly to trash... how do I "train" not only the customer to RTFM (read the 'fine' manual') ... (where is documentation explaining how it works, and how to tweak the settings for e-mail/spam?) so that e-mails can be taught as to what is or is not spam?

2> After installing Smart Security on this Vista laptop, and hard wiring into my Linksys router, I got all kinds of errors on my network (iMac & MacBook) with IP Address in use errors, DHCP Server errors, all kinds of wacky stuff. Also a DOS/CMD window popped up asking for permission to add IPCONFIG RENEW to the firewall.

So what's this all about?

The very reason I was a little hesitant to use this Smart Security from the beginning was because of "end user" issues and concerns. Meaning, I don't want to be married to them every time they have issues or problems with an application, so easier was better.

Did I make the right choice to go with the 'one in all' Smart Security?

So, how do I address these issues?

2. guruuno

Hello? Anyone there?

3. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

I think that antispam on the desktop is a time wasting and ultimately futile endeavor requiring ongoing screwing around to reach decent screening.

Why? Because the most effective way to filter this stuff is algorithms that utilize vast traffic patterns/content. First, most large ISP's have been doing this for some time. It's in their interest to reduce their traffic and most filter it and offer their customers two levels of processing: 1) Known spam 2) Possible spam They hold it in these two folders for their users to review if desired. Both are usually self purging after a stated period.

Second way is thru DNS services. Again, they are aggregators and can effectively filter known spam. When I started using OpenDNS I immediately saw no propagation of known spam thru to my ISP. Possible spam still propagated but much of it wasn't spam; just sources that weren't in a blacklist (addressbook in this case).

Third is corporate networks. This is function of IT departments. It often takes a full-time-equivalent (FTE) just to keep up.

Fourth, is the desktop. By the time it reaches here it should be very small amount and stuff that only the recipient can filter.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  4. guruuno

OK, but does anyone have answers to my questions, this is an statement by you, an opinion, but not a response to my specific inquiry.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This shouldn't be happening. The spam filter must work without tweaking its settings and move email evaluated as spam to the appropriate folder (the folder can be configured in the antispam setup). Have you already submitted a customer care request? Does your customer use Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook?

Do these problems occur even with the firewall disabled? If not, does switching between interactive and automatic mode make a difference? Do you have the Trusted zone setup properly? In the IDS section of the main setup tree, there's an option to enable logging of all blocked connections. If you enable it, are there any dropped connections logged in the firewall log?

6. guruuno

Still need the documentation, would like to read before I complain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.