Smart Security 4 Firewall Issues

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by damtech, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damtech

damtech Registered Member

I have 3 computers on my network. I have just spent the weekend reformatting all 3, so they all have a fresh install of windows on them.

I have installed ESET SS4 on 2 of the machines, and my current problem is this:

Computers A & B have SS4 installed, Computer C does not.

In the networking section of windows, Computers A & C can see themselves and Computer C, but not each other (A cannot see B and Vice Versa)

I have the firewall in interactive, and have set the ip range that they all use in a trusted zone, but still nothing.

Also if i try and PING from A to B, or B to A, i get "Request Timed Out"

I feel i am missing something tiny, but if anyone could help I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

do you have the latest version .437 on each? If you disable the fw on A & B can the "see" each other? Anything in eset logs?

3. damtech

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

5. damtech

interesting development.

That seemed to work to a point.

I was a ble to see all 3 machines in the network, on all the machines, so thats good.

Itstill wouldnt connect. so i disabled the firewall, and conected to them that way, using and storing their local logon credentials (im on a workgroup) and then enabled the firewalls again, and it seems to go ok.

I guess I will see when I install it on PC3.

6. damtech

Ok Scratch that. Once i enabled the Firewall network connections stopped. so Im back to square one.

7. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

you didn't reply if you have the latest version, the 1049/1050 fw module fixes some connections issues

8. damtech

I have version 4.0.437.0

Firewall module 1050

9. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

10. kenl

kenl Registered Member

i have the exact same issue with network, and other application like skype and rdp or vnc.. all stops working with the same version 4.0.437.0/1050

11. damtech

Still not working. I dont think its going to either. I have diabled the firewall for now and using windows firewall. Shame, i had heard such great things about ESET SS4

12. kenl

kenl Registered Member

tried it here too with the same results

13. kenl

kenl Registered Member

ok i deleted all my settings and retry what i did and it stopped working.. something is really strange going on here.

ok this seems to work for me
    i open up the main interface and went to the top right hand corner and click on
    setup>advanced setup>personal firewall
    under "trusted zone" change it to "allow sharing"
    and under "zone and rule editor" go to zone tab make sure subnet for your network is in the entry for "trusted zone"

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  14. kenl

kenl Registered Member

ok my last resource was to put it onto learning mode and let it learn for 14 days

15. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

In your initial comment, you stated that you set the ip range. There is no need to do that. Let ESS do the rule setup for you. I would suggest uninstalling all installations of ESS including the files under Documents and Settings, reinstall and try again.

16. newbie2247

newbie2247 Registered Member

I have version 4.0.437.0

Firewall module 1050

I keep getting "Incorrect TCP checksum" in my logs. Also same with "Incorrect IP checksum".

Any idea why this is happening or what I can do to stop it? It's got me quite frazzled and very worried that something is wrong with my computer.

I am vigilant about security and maintenance. I don't know what else I can do beyond that. For some reason I do not think I'm doing anything wrong but maybe I am? :doubt:

I just got 2 new ones today and I was only on the `puter for half an hour just reading headlines on Yahoo News.

I don't even know what a checksum is, lol, or if this is serious or not. All my scans always come out clean. I use several free ones on demand in addition to ESET.

What to do? :doubt:

17. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

Just ignore the checksum errors. They have no effect on the PC or network.

18. newbie2247

newbie2247 Registered Member

OK. I will. I trust ALL the advice I get here as most of you are very, very bright and know `puters inside and out. I know didley squat.

Thank you very much! I appreciate the immense relief you just gave me. :)

Question: Is it an known ESET v4 bug? If not, I will gladly send them a ticket which they will promptly ignore and send me the usual noncommittal +vague reply with the usual questions, turning it all back onto me. (I hate sending them tickets but do when I really have to. This godsend of a forum helps me much more than they do. Though they do try to be polite and helpful and reply in a timely manner. Must give credit where credit is due.)

Their anti-spyware is GREAT. The Spam Module bites (I detest it, very annoying - should turn the blasted thing off) and the firewall isn't that hot either, obviously, LOL.

Has anyone taken the firewall scan at www.auditmypc.com yet? I did. Whoa! :gack: I wonder what ESET thinks and feels about that. Heh, heh. :cautious:

19. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I think it is a known bug but isn't causing any problems so isn't a high priority. As I said before, just ignore it.

20. Skier

Skier Registered Member

I recently had a similar situation to the original poster. I have the following:

A: Desktop running Vista Ultimate 64-bit with SS v4.0.437.0
    B: Laptop running Windows 7 RC Build 7100 32-bit with SS v4.0.437.0
    C: Desktop running XP Pro + SP3 with Norton Internet Security 2009.

B & C worked perfectly well. On my desktop (A) I could see no other computers on the network and it couldn't be seen though I could access and save files to and move files from a mapped network drive on a NAS.

I tried turning off the Firewall within ESET SS but this had no effect (I have the Firewall in Interactive Mode and had no alerts that any traffic was being blocked - clearly it was!). To solve this I had to enter each of the items in my network into the trusted zone with IP address and subnet mask - adding a range didn't work. Interesting I only had to do this on computer A, not on computer B!! Also interesting is that if I now go back into this trusted zone and select 'Edit' to have a look, there is no mention of the items I added.

Either I'm missing something crucial here or a re-think of the Firewall interface is required, particularly with respect to networking.

Regards

Skier

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.