Small business database software needed

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I am in need of some database software for my small business. I have checked around and nothing really seems right. What I am needing is software to list clients, contact info and notes on the client, open/pending accounts plus those closed. It would be great if I could import templates as well. The software I am seeing now is averaging around $1000 but I am needing something much cheaper, even open source. I don't think it needs to be that complex, just enough to keep track of open accounts, contact info of clients, notes, letters sent, etc.

I have Microsoft Office Pro 2007 but it doesn't have the database I need. A database that can integrate MS Office would be great- not sure if MS has one or not.

I don't really need an expense tracker although I suppose that would be an added bonus.

Any ideas?

2. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

You already have Access if you have Office 2007. So why not use that with 0 extra cost. With access you can fit any need you have...but there are things to learn in order to use it and get the desired results.

3. acr1965

I'm giving Access a second look now. Not sure it's what I'm looking for though.

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
  5. acr1965

ok thanks...fwiw the last database I worked with was Lotus Notes which was not anything spectacular but worked out well for what I needed. I am opening a law office and the database needs to track open client cases. My practice is fee based so tracking client funds is not as important as if I had an escrow account. I just need to open files, have contact info, keep track of client contacts (phone/court/etc), filed motions, etc

6. roady

roady Registered Member

If the ms access learning curve is to steep for you,take a look @ FilemakerPro...easy to learn,lots of templates and easy to add your own,without the need to fill in every detail,as there happens a lot under the hood which requires no user intervention...

7. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

I agree with NoIos in that MS Access could easily deliver what you need and as you already own MS Office why buy something else (unless you would rather not develop it yourself)?

And unless I'm misunderstanding your needs, you could actually do this in Excel as there doesn't seem to be any 'relational data' requirements.

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Oh...that's a different category....which isn't CRM.

Why not common law office software, like Lexis/PCLaw, Timeslips, Needles, etc. They're specifically designed for your need....they have all the tools you need already built into them, plus support. So you can get to work doing law work..and billing, instead of spending months and months trying to groom some database from scratch, and troubleshooting it with little support when it bonks on you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.