Small annoyance, advice needed please.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cochise, Jul 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi All,
    Just installed new "Trust" 360B Easyscroll keyboard and 5 button wireless Mouse.

Installation went without a hitch, but, from out of nowhere, when I boot up I get a message (White letters on a black background) after the first of the M$ flying logos that states:-

"A device file that is specified in the SYSTEM.ini file is damaged. It may be needed to run Windows.
    You may need to run the Windows setup program again.
    If the file is included in another Software package, you may need to re-install the software that uses the file,
    C:\windows\system\msmouse.vxd.
    Press a key to continue"

Once I press any key it boots up as normal.
    Whatever this is, it is not affecting my OS in anyway whatsoever and I cannot find out what or where this file is and consequently I don't seem to be able to get rid of it.

I thought maybe Windows or Wilders File Checker might find and repair it but I can't seem to find either of them.

I've run Scandisk and defrag, Scandisk found nothing!!!
    Any contributions gratefully received.

TIA Cochise :cool:

OS. Win 98se, 550Megs, 30Gbs, 128 RAM.

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Cochise,

Windows 98, right?

Have a look here on how to remove the mouse= line from your system.ini
    Don´t forget to make a backup of the original!! ;)

Regards,

Pieter

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Me again Pieter,

Just before I go off and take your advice.

I have a multi-search engine installed so I thought, out of interest, to type in:-

C:\Windows\System\MSMouse.vxd.

The answers that were returned all seem to point to a Trojan called "Zeraf"o_O??

Do you think that could be a possibility please and if so what action would you suggest?

I have AVG, Adaware, Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster, but I don't have a Trojan Snuffer.

Your kind input would be appreciated or anybodies input for that matter.

TIA and Best Regards to all, Cochise. :cool:

4. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Cochise,

If you do a search for just "msmouse.vxd" you will find that this is also the legitimate name for the default mouse driver in 98 and ME. Given that the issue only started occuring on the install of another mouse I would say you have nothing to worry about on this.

HTH,

Dan

5. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Cheers Dan Perez,

Thanks for your rapid response, don't get me wrong Mate, but it's not so much whether it's a Trojan or what, it's just the annoyance of having to press a damn key everytime just to continue to boot up, I just want rid of the message, you know the feeling, LOL.

I will continue to hunt down the offending little tick until it's GONE!

Cheers and Thanks to all, Cochise. :cool:
    PS. See, I'm still smiling :D

6. HKLM

HKLM Registered Member

From the MSKB:
    Q140441 - Creating a New System.ini File Without Third-Party Drivers

Default Entries for the System.ini File
    The following entries are the default entries for a new System.ini file:

[386Enh]
    device=*vshare
    device=*dynapage
    device=*vcd
    device=*vpd
    device=*int13
    keyboard=*vkd
    display=*vdd
    mouse=*vmouse, msmouse.vxd
    woafont=dosapp.fon
    device=*enable

It is an entry in the system.ini and it's used as a default entry therefore you probably dont want to remove this line.

From the Warning windows displays when you start your PC (and since you have found that a trojan with the same name exists) you can try to replace the file msmouse.vxd using sfc.exe (System File Checker) to extract the original file from the windows installation CD using the option-->Extract one file from installation disk

If you want to know if a file (like msmouse.vxd) is from the original windows installation or it has been replaced (by a trojan) with another file with the same name you should install the Microsoft Windows 98 Resource Kit Sampler from the Windows 98 CD (X:\tools\RESKIT) and use the FileInfo tool.

You should also search the registry (after running MRU-blaster) for the case there is also an entry in the registry.In my case there is only a binary value "msmouse.vxd" under the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\InstalledFiles\

This is how the original file should be:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.