slowwww.....

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MRSCT, Nov 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Anyone.......

My computer is starting to change screens slower. I'm not seeing the flag move in the upper right hand corner. Please talk me though anything I can do to get it running faster.

MRSCT

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

MRSCT,

Have you cleaned out temporary/cached files?
    How many processes are running (use the Task Manager - Ctrl-Alt-Del in XP, # processes listed in lower left hand corner
    Is there any process unexpectedly dominating CPU time (Task Manager - View>Select Columns, make sure CPU time is checked if not already, click at the CPU time heading to sort by total CPU time)

That's the basic information needed before anyone can provide informed advice. Also, on this machine, are you running lean on either RAM or disk space?

Blue

3. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I haven't done taskes asked but a couple of times the vitual memory popped up.
    MRSCT

4. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

have you defragged your hard drive lately..that may help. and, try running an anti-spyware program like the free microsoft antispyware beta to clean any junk out.

5. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I'm doing that as we speak.

Thanks

6. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Maybe you have to uninstall some of the real-time anti-spyware monitor, or kernel protection software and see what happens, and sometimes some anti-virus and firewall programs can also affect the systems. :(

Try some other lighter programs that do the same job and compare how it affects your pc.

7. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I am a computer novice. Please give me examples of antispyware real time. Kernel protection software o_O

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

MRSCT,

I would recommend against jumping into kernel protection software as a novice. There are plenty of antispyware packages available with realtime monitoring - the Microsoft beta product, Counterspy, AdAware, Ewido to name a few. Most major AV's (Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, NOD32, etc.) have quite decent spyware coverage. Adequate general protection is available from setups as simple as a good and updated AV and a router for inbound control.

Before adding anything, what is currently installed on the machine as the AV product as well as any other security type program (firewall, security suite, etc.)? This is particular important, especially if you did decide to go with kernel level coverage, since that is where the primary incompatibilities will reside.

Blue

9. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Real time monitor means that the anti-spywares or anti-virus monitoring engine is always turn-on all the time, everytime you starts up your pc. As this also means that it will catch spywares or viruses in an instant it detects it. Some of this real-time monitor eats up some of the ram memory and system resources and it will tend to slow down on some pc (depending on the set-up). Microsoft AntiSpyware, Spyware Doctor, Ewido plus are some of the example of anti-spywares that has real-time scanning monitor and A-Squared free, Ad-Aware SE Personal, and Ewido free has no real-time monitor. Avast, AVG anti-virus are also examples of this that has real-time monitor, while Clam Anti-virus and BitDefender free are examples that has no real-time monitor as it only scans when you want to or this was an on-demand only scanner.

Kernel mode protection softwares includes ProcessGuard and Anti-Hook, for some... they said it also tend to slow down their system. Also some firewall like ZoneAlarm also tend to slow down the system.

;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.