Slowing system?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Carney, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carney

Carney Registered Member

Hi – once again, thank you to all who helped resolve my previous issue.

Unfortunately, something new is occurring, and I need help, again, to figure out what is the culprit. For the past two weeks my system has really been slowing down. This is particularly noticeable when attempting to access new web-sites, but also occurs when connecting to just about any site. My ISP, Comcast, blames the firewall/security program. Of-course, Comcast tends to assign blame to anything other than their system…However; I did notice that when I disable the firewall/security system, my connection times are much quicker. I’m hoping someone can help me figure out if this is a problem concerning Eset Smart Security or not and if so, how to resolve the problem. Thank you.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Make sure you run the latest version of ESET Smar Security - 3.0.672
    You can download it from www.eset.com/download and install it over the current version you have . Reboot after that .

Open the program's user interface (GUI) , press F5 to enter the "Advanced setup tree" . Once there , go to the right down corner and click the "Default" button . Choose "Revert all settings to default". Press OK .

Goto Advanced setup tree -> Web access protection -> HTTP -> Web browsers -> Active mode and make sure no program is ticked in the "Active mode" section

Make sure there are no other security products installed . If there are , uninstall them . Make sure Windows Firewall is disabled (Control Panel -> Windows Firewall) .

Repair Winsock
    Windows XP SP2 , XP SP3 and Windows Vista all

Goto Start –> Run
    type cmd and click OK.
    Type netsh winsock reset
    Press ENTER . Restart immediately !

N.B. ! There is a space between the commands , example netshSPACEwinsockSPACEreset
    N.B. ! If you use Windows Vista , you must first run cmd as Administrator .

Once you have opened the GUI , goto Setup and try to use the firewall in different modes - change between Interactive and Automatic to see if this makes difference

3. Carney

Carney Registered Member

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. I apologize for taking so long to respond. Unfortunately, about the time I submitted my post, my editor called and sent me off on another assignment.

Okay - I tried each of your suggestions. There has been no improvement. In fact, if anything, the problems have grown larger. Not only has my system become painfully slow, I am finding multiple incidents of malware passing the firewall. In addition the SPAM filter is totally useless. Addresses I identified as SPAM are still not being filtered. No matter what I try, the problems get more pervasive. I’m pretty much at my wits end with this program! I’m a journalist, not a computer geek [more power to the geeks who keep us all going] and cannot afford the time it takes, daily, to deal with the increasing array of problems related to the software. Please, if you or anyone else has some ideas to try, let me know!

Thanks!

4. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

The post "DNS Problems" HERE reads similar (slow down-site access) Take a look --- not sure about the Malware impications which surely could cause slow-downs.

To see the Log data--DNS Attacks they speak of you have to have Log All Blocked Connections Chk'd in Firewall/IDS-Advanced Options/Troubleshooting.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  5. graywolf202

graywolf202 Registered Member

Am using a waaaaaay:D weaker config but never had 100% system usage or severe system slowdown related to ESET.

Hmmmm. Maybe this problem only goes for (ironically) multicore users.*puppy*

6. Carney

Carney Registered Member

Cosmo - thank you for your post. It really helped to read the other thread. Frankly, I think the DNS issue and the other issues I'm experiencing since installing Smart Security are the tip of an iceberg. I've done some research on other tech sites and have learned my issues are hardly rare - in fact, it appears as if many users with much more knowledge and experience have similar issues. As to solutions; just about every tech site contains information about how the total Smart Security package contains major flaws. People recommend dumping the package and simply purchasing the components known to be superior; mainly the AV. I've been trying to get a response from ESET tech support, but, to date, have received no response other than the auto-acknowledgement they received my e-mails. It's terribly frustrating for a non-tech to try to deal with these issues. I'm wasting hours of time daily just trying to find work arounds to yet another issue with my security package. Sometimes I wonder if no security is better than poor security! (Okay - I know...) :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.