Slow Start Up

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jrmhng, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Hey Guys,

I'm running a Thinkpad R61i (T5250, 2GB RAM, Vista Business) and start up has been very slow since I installed my security apps.

Originally with a trial of NOD 32 2.7 installed as the only security app, it finishes loading in just under 2 minutes.

After the trial ran out, I uninstalled NOD32 (I a uni student on a budget so cant really afford to fork out 50 AUD for a license) and got the following:

AV: Symantec AV 10.2 (supplied free from uni)
    HIPS: Threatfire 3
    Backup: Mozyhome client
    Other: Returnil

However startup in very slow. It went from 2 mins to 3mins 30 seconds. Are there any alternative, lighter solutions which includes a good av and hips for free?

Regards,
    Jeremy

2. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
  3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Blink personal is available for free. Its not the lightest suite around but it ran fine on my dell inspiron (T2400, 1GB ram, XP).

You could also try something like the free antivir PE combined with the free online armor.

One thing you could do is disable each security product one at a time to see which is causing the delay, and then possibly replace it.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Im betting its the AV. You could try avast instead.

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

HI, FOLKS:

I would think the AV of your choice coupled with known drawback effect of Threarfire has worsen the problem. I would delete TF first to feel the difference. If not, try AVAST home as advised by WSFuser. Some security apps such as AVG AS, Boclean are designed to scan system during boot, therefore dragging the whole thing to seemly eternity. I have similar problem when I had AVG AS(guard on), Boclean, and threatfire. Since removed, everything is sailing like a bullet, no kidding. Take care.

6. farmerlee

For speed i would also recommend avast. It was the fastest performing av from my personal tests.

7. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. Ive uninstalled Symantec and Threatfire and installed a trial copy of ESS 3 and really love it. It improved startup by around 1 minute.

I want to get NOD32 3 and a student 1yr license is only 35 Australian dollars with a free upgrade to ESS until end of this year. Still on a tight budget though, do you guys think it is worth it given a free option like avast or antivir?

Still need a light weight free HIPS. Any Ideas?

Cheers
    Jeremy

PS. Regarding Blink, I used to have it on my XP machine. Now I'm on Vista and Blink is not compatible.

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

Tight student budget ? I have been there, and I do understand your feeling. Avast home, freeware, is very popular among freeware seekers. It provides more than basic protections average PC users have sought for. I would try it out for a short period of time first. If you(and your system) like it, then it is a keeper, otherwise, investing few of your budgeted money in other top-notched app is a wise decision as well. There are quite few free HIPS apps available these days, gurus all have different views of them, some are easy to navigate thru, some are made like a crazy maze, you may lose your head and temper. I would search this forum and study, yes I mean STUDY, them, then carefully test them, one by one, with imaging app ready to backup. With your lucky charm in hand, you may find a suitable one for your system.. Good luck, and take care.

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I do because its light, and has good detection rates, and has reliable updates.

But do you feel EAV/ESS is worth paying for over using freeware av + fw?
    Online Armor; just remember to disable/uninstall the firewall if you want to use the one in ESS.

10. Aerowinder

Aerowinder Registered Member

Get rid of all of that. Then do this:

AV: avast! or AntiVir (never really used either of these, I can't vouch for them)
    Firewall: Comodo
    AS: Ad-Aware 2007 Free, SpywareBlaster, HostsMan

If I could not afford to buy any software, this is what I would do. Forget the HIPS (are you serious?) and "Go Back" app. In my opinion, those "Go Back" apps are for the careless or the paranoid. Why do you use it; to protect your system from... yourself? Using that software, to me, is like saying "I can be careless, I'm protected." Which is not a good attitude to have. Ditch the software, and you will learn good habits. Perhaps the hard way. But you will learn.

My highly opinionated 2c. Do with it what you wish.

11. farmerlee

If the budget is tight then....

Mcafee virusscan plus is available free from a couple of sites.

http://www.natwest.com/microsites/personal/latest_deals/index.asp?referrer=online
    http://safety.aol.com/isc/BasicSecurity/

Otherwise antivir\avast combined with online armor free will give you a lightweight av+hips+fw combo.

12. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Yap, and if Avast was still heavy on your machine (some says its heavy)....:D ..then u can disable other providers in it and use only the resident standard shield and web shield. That's how I use it. :cool:

13. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Thanks for the solutions guys. Ive decided to buy the eset product. Just toooooooo good to pass up haha!

Hrmms as for hips, a lot of the solutions mentioned are not vista compatible. Any vista compatible HIPS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.