Slow restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by NineToTheSky, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NineToTheSky

NineToTheSky Registered Member

When I restore my 250gb internal drive from my Maxtor OneTouch USB hard drive with TI 8, it takes about 20 hours. When I use Ghost it takes about 4 hours. Does anyone know why TI is so slow?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi,

I would hazard a guess and say that the Linux device drivers on the bootable rescue CD aren't optimized for the chipset in your Maxtor OneTouch external enclosure. Which TI version/build did you use to create your rescue CD?

Does your OneTouch also have a Firewire interface? If so, try using that instead of the USB.

Restoring a 4.5GB TI image from my Conceptronic external USB 2.0 enclosure takes me approximately 8 minutes.

Regards

3. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

Oh, probably your USB interface that is recognized as USB 1.0 instead of 2.0. That should account for the time lost.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello NineToTheSky,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please boot from bootable CD and try to start restoration. Then please let me know the time of restoration.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. NineToTheSky

Thanks for all your responses.

My Maxtor does have Firewire, so I will try that. I have just upgraded to 826 (today). Before today I had the previous build. (I can't remember the number).

As far as I am aware my USB ports are v2 on the PC and external drive. How can I tell? Or do you mean that TI is seeing them as USB v1?

Irina, I have been booting from the bootable CD when restoring.

I am reluctant to test it because, if I still have the problem, then it's 4 hours to backup and 20 hours to restore. (I appreciate I'll probably have to - I'm just reluctant!)

6. dld

dld Registered Member

Go to Device Manager, under Universal Serial Bus controllers, you should see: USB2 Enhanced Host controller, or something similar.
    http://img149.echo.cx/img149/8383/screenhunter0073at.jpg

7. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Mmmm - instead of restoring from the Rescue CD, what about checking the image? Can the boot CD do that?

8. Acronis Support

Hello NineToTheSky,

We are really sorry for the inconveniences. The full version of Acronis bootable CD contains drivers to restore the Acronis image from devices that do not have direct BIOS support, such as SCSI controllers, RAID Devices, tapes, external USB storage and LAN cards. The Ghost has another drivers. And it's possibly that restoration will be slow on the particular system. Please note that we update Acronis drivers with the new versions.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

9. NineToTheSky

I've just tried connecting by Firewire, and there is a known error with SP2, and no cure (unless you pay Microsoft - which I won't). ('SBP-2 drive stops responding when you try to write data in Windows XP' Article ID 885464). So thanks for the suggestion, but...

10. NineToTheSky

Thanksfor the advice. It says 'SIS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller'. No mention of USB2 - but my PC was definitely described as having USB2.

11. NineToTheSky

Thanks for your reply. Are you saying that my Maxtor OneTouch 160gb isn't supported by TI? And that I'll just have to live with it? The Maxtor has been available for a while now, and is a popular model, so do you have any plans to support it, and if so, when?

12. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

I think it's the USB 2 port that is not supported. Usb Disks are standard devices that don't need special drivers

13. NineToTheSky

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'd really like to know the answer to this. And have I understood you correctly: that the reason that Ghost can restore in a 3 hours, and TI takes 20 hours is because you don't support Maxtor OneTouch drives?

14. MiniMax

No, the problem appear to be with the USB controller on your motherboard:
    Code:
    ,-------------,     ,------------,    ,----------------,
    |             |     |            |    | USB controller |
    | True Image  +---> | USB driver +--> | on motherboard +--> USB cable --,
    |             |     |            |    |                |                |
    '-------------'     '------------'    '----------------'                |
                                                                            |
                                                                            |
    .                   ,------------,    ,----------------,                |
    .                   |            |    | USB controller |                |
    .                   | Hard Disk  | <--+ in One Touch   |<-- USB cable --'
    .                   |            |    |                |
    .                   '------------'    '----------------'

It looks like the Acronis USB driver is not able to program the controller to run in USB2-mode, but only in the slower USB1-mode. It has nothing to do with the Maxtor drive.

15. NineToTheSky

Thanks for your very informative diagram.

So, to put it rather indelicately, then I'm stuffed? (That is, there's nothing I, or Acronis, can do about it?)

16. MiniMax

You cannot do anything about (except silly things like change your motherboard, add an PCI-card with an extra USB-controller, etc), but Acronis can look closer at that 'SIS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller' and see:

1) If it supports USB2.
    2) What changes they need to make to the Rescue CD in order to drive it at USB-2 speed.

17. MiniMax

I searched for information about that SiS7001 controller. It was a bit hard to find... I found it as being part of a SiS962/SiS962L SouthBridge, and the 7001 should contain controllers for both USB1.1 and USB2.0.

HOWEVER - it also seems like anything that shows up in the Windows Device Manager as an Open Host Controller is an USB1.1 controller only. An USB2.0 controller would show up as an Enhanced Host Controller.

9^Sky, have your tried entering your BIOS setup, and verified that you have not disabled USB2.0 support? I don't know your BIOS, but I expect a menu/page called something like "Advanced Chipset Features" where you can choose between "No USB", "USB1.1 only" and "USB1.0 + 2.0".

18. NineToTheSky

I will check all that you suggest - thanks. But I still come back to that when I restore using Ghost, it only takes 2-4 hours - not 18-22: a huge difference!

19. simon_warner

simon_warner Guest

I had the same problem and think I fixed it by building a Windows XP boot CD with BartPE ...
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    And using a Acronis True Image plugin provided by support.

20. NineToTheSky

Thanks for your suggestion. Sorry to be stupid, but when I create this Bart PE boot disk, what do I do then? I thought I had to boot with the TI disk?

And how do I get the TI plugin?

21. Acronis Support

22. gladelson

gladelson Registered Member

Let me add my experience. I just downloaded the newest trial build in anticipation of buying this product. Backup of a 30 GB partition to a Maxtor OneTouch II 300 GB via USB was uneventful and took about 50 min. Verifying this image under Windows XP Pro took about 17 min. Seems good. But, when I boot into the recovery linux-based environment, verifying with a USB connection takes 10 hours, and with a firewire connection 3 hours! Something is seriously wrong with the linux recovery environment. The machine is a Dell Dimension 8250, pretty standard hardware. I saw the post about using BartPE Windows environment, but you can only get the Acronis Plugin after you buy the product. Sorry, but I have to be able to test this system before I plunk down the money.

23. Donprovo

Donprovo Registered Member

Dont waste your money now. Wait until they make good on all there promises. Truimage has too many bugs in it now to pay for it and then find out it doesnt work. Specially biuld 859 is a waste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.