Slow PC Protection!

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Ricken, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricken

Ricken Guest

Good day Wilders!

I have a dual Pentium 3 1GHz PC with 512mb of RAM and Windows 2000. I know many of you run lots of different applications in the background to prevent things such as browser hijacks, spyware, viruses, process injection etc plus you all run a firewall of some sort.

I downloaded Kaspersky trial but when I turn on its real-time protection I notice a performance decrease. I also recently purchased Look 'n' Stop and i'm very pleased with its performance.

What should a run on my system to give me good performance and also keep me fairly secure?

Running: Windows 2000, Look 'n' Stop, Spybot-S&D, Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal 5 (trial version 13 days to go) and SpywareBlaster.

Ricken

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Ricken,

You have a couple of options
    • If you are really sensitive to performance, I recommend NOD32 as your AV and BOClean as your AT. BOClean fills in minor gaps in NOD32's coverage of trojans, both are very resource light with excellent coverage, and they work well together. A number of forum members (myself included) run this configuration.
    • KAV Personal is the least configurable of the KAV options. You could try one of the other KAV flavors, such as KAV Personal Pro, or one of the KAV engine based options. There's a recent discussion here on that subject. Some of the KAV engined AV's are heavier, some are supposedly lighter - I don't have personal experience with those (I do use KAV 5.0 WS), so I can't comment directly on the observations.
    Look n Stop is probably one of the lightest firewalls available, and a solid choice. I would probably augment things with some demand scanning applications focused on spyware, some are listed here. Also see here for a rather nice functional breakdown analysis of one person's configuration (parent thread for this post is here), which is a good way to start thinking about the specific components involving in tightening security.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.