Slow loading

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Cobalt, Jun 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobalt

Cobalt Guest

Whenever I start TDS3 to do a scan, it gets to, "Loading Radius Advanced Scanning System" and then takes 3-4 minutes loading. (This is just loading, not updating)
    Why is it taking so long? Is this normal?

2. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Is it doing a full system scan at startup? Is your CPU at 100%?

3. Cobalt

Cobalt Guest

Hi Unicron,

No it's not configured to do a full scan at startup.
    I have the 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th box checked in "Initialisation" and the 4th box checked in "Startup scanning". (mutex)
    Anyhow, the delay is occuring at the, "Loading Radius Advanced scanning system" sequence before it actually starts the mutex scan.
    Just tried it again and it took 3 minutes to load.

(Not sure what you mean by, "Is your CPU at 100%)

4. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

the more intensive the request to the processor, the more of its computing power needs to be used for the task. Since systems like ours can only do one thing at a time, the processor must quickly switch between all the jobs it has been asked to do, so it appears to be doing more than one thing at a time. If a program requires heavy computations, much or all of the processor's time will be devoted to that program. This is a very basic description of Interrupt based execution. (Purists, I know much was missing but irrelevant here)

If you use a windows system based on the NT kernel (NT, 2K, XP) then the built-in task manager can show you how much of the processor's time is taken up by each progaram currently loaded. Often, when the processor is not busy, it will show 99% idle. TDS-3 will attempt to use all 100% of the cpu to do certain things.

TDS-3's scanning is very heavy on the processor, requiring all it can muster in the way of computing power. The machine running it may appear unresponsive during scans. The odd thing is that this seems to be unrelated to scanning, so I am unsure why there would be such a time delay.

There have been a few issues with TDS-3 and winXP as well as a few with winME (less than XP). Do you use one of these operating systems?

Also, are you using the trial version or a registered version.

Once you have waited the 3 minutes (must seem like hours!) does TDS-3 work as expected?

Can you do a full scan of all hard drives to check for nasties afterward? Also a scandisk and defrag may be of use if that hasn't been done in a while, not that it is required to use TDS-3, but just to help rule out as many external issues as we can. Odd things can happen with any prog when errors exist on disk.

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

There are people who do start TDS at system startup with very few options, to not slowing down the start up of either windows or TDS to much while all other processes are started at the same time.
    I know it are but a few moments of not being very protected to wait with starting TDS after reboot, so i have TDS started manually when i feel ready for it with all the options checked. the full system scan i do in between, most of time after a radius update or when i'm going to do something away from the system.

What happens if you check all the options in initialisation and startup scans?
    Even on my slow systems loading the radius takes half to a full minute, no more.

6. Cobalt

Cobalt Guest

Maybe it's my system then, (which is a not very powerful laptop) ie

Win 95b
    133mhz
    80mb Ram
    1.3gb HD (600mb used)

I don't have any problems doing all the scans once the system is loaded (takes about 50 min to do a full scan on my pc) but you're right, the 3 min wait seems like hours!
    Thanks for the replies.

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Happy to read it works on that.
    There was another user i'm aware of, who did various upgrades of the Win95 system, which made it at least quicker in general.
    I'd certainly dig out this MS site for that:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/default.asp
    Libraries, those things........ Hope it helps!
    BTW: if you run the later IE versions, 5.5 or 6.0 you might have a lot included already. Since MS no longer supports Win95 i don't know if they give that actual info on that site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.