Slow bootup

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by saldie, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saldie

saldie Registered Member

I recently purchased a two year license of Nod32 for my laptop with the following specs:

Core duo
    2 gig of ram
    Vista Ultimate

My issue is when I boot-up/restart the computer everything loads, then after apprx. 30 seconds, cpu shoots up to 100% and Nod32 starts up. Until this happens I am also unable to connect to my router using a wireless connection.

I have looked around these forums and have attempted the following:

Disable wireless at startup.
    Restart/repair win sockets.
    Disable/repair imon.
    Uninstall/reinstall.
    Set update to dialup.

Uninstalling Nod32 starts up my wireless like normal.
    I have not installed any other av as this is a clean install of Vista and I do not want to start experimenting with other av's.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Why update setup to dialup? It may be looking for a dialup connection which it will not find and may cause the delay.
    I have also diasabled the display of the splash screen at startup.....it should make a very little difference.

I am running Vista Home Premium on a permanent connection, but I find the whole startup of Vista pretty slow.

3. saldie

saldie Registered Member

Well,in the update options I had set it to lan/fixed line, but someone suggested I try setting it on dialup.
    I disagree about Vista bootup, at least in my experience.
    I purchase a retail version of Ultimate, and did a clean install, and I have faster bootup times than I did with XP.

4. Big Apple

Good for you, that Vista starts up faster than XP! I guess the dual core helps with that also.
    As far as Nod32 starting up is concerned, I wouldn't really know besides the dial up option, but you already had it setup with lan/fixed, so.....hope you find out with other help.
    Good luck.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Setting the update option to dial-up for wireless users has been posted by Blackspear in the FAQ section.. post # 81

6. Big Apple

Well, that should cause the slowdown, but Saldie already had a slowdown with Lan/fixed line.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If this doesn't help , try to switch to "None" (no internet connection)

8. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

Having just formatted my H.D. and reinstalled Windows XP, I was, shall we say, miffed to find that both shut down and start up were taking for ever and ever.

Researching on the web, I came across a link to a Microsoft support site on which this problem was addressed.

Here it is:- http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=837115

The cause commonly identified is a failure to properly unload user profiles at shut down. Microsoft have released a tool, downloadable from a link on the page I mentioned.

To resolve this issue, use the Microsoft User Profile Hive Cleanup Service (UPHClean). UPHClean monitors the computer while Windows is unloading user profiles and forces resources that are open to close. Therefore, the computer can unload and reconcile user profiles.

To download and install UPHClean, visit the following Microsoft Web site:-

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

This cures the problem in many cases, including mine.

I now have a PC which boots and shuts down faster than any I have ever owned!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2007
  9. Big Apple

Good and handy find, but it's not usable for Vista.

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@ saldie

Saldie , can you also try to fully disable Windows Automatic Updates (if it is enabled)

11. saldie

saldie Registered Member

Roger, thanks for link, but it's not compatible with vista.
    Hi tech Boy, tried both of your suggestions, no update and turn off windows update, not difference.
    I guess I'll live to deal with it, who knows could even be the wireless drivers.
    I've experienced certain problems with some vista drivers already, hopefully they will get better as vista matures.
    Thank all.

12. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

vista startup in general is slower than say, XP, which in turn is slower than 2000 in my experience.

Tips for nod32 though...

1. turn off the splash screen:

- Control Center | NOD32 System Tools | NOD32 System Setup | Setup
    - Check the box marked: Do not display NOD32 splash screen at startup
    - Uncheck the box marked: Use Eset Custom Graphical Interface (saves RAM)

2. try the delayed update for the laptop settings:

- Control Center | Update | Update | Setup | Advanced Setup
    - Change the connection to "Other/Laptop"

as you mentioned, it could be a delay from something other than nod32 - but I would make these changes ANYWAY. Firstly, you don't need the splash-screen, and with Vista, freeing up a little RAM will help you anyway (my experience if that Vista is a complete pig when it comes to ram, gobbling all it can get).

I'm just getting a brand new laptop, and I am resisting putting Vista on it for a couple of reasons - firstly I can't get our vpn to work 100% with vista, and 2ndly, I don't want to slow down my brand new macbook! ;) If I can get bootcamp to offer up a 3rd operating system, I'll slam on a copy of vista just for screen-shots and testing though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.