SlimPDF Reader 1.0 Free

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dermot7, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Ive used Able2Extract quite some time ago when I had to convert an old companies supply manual to a new copy with a new logo for my moms boyfriends business. It was quite the flawless piece of software.

However the screen shot in the link looks alot like Nuance.

3. Dermot7

4. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

How do you know this PDF reader is any better than the 50 other PDF
    readers out there? They all have there individual quirks.
    To be specific, Adobe the hog, Sumatra - won't let you uninstall it.
    Foxit reader has garbage in the latest .exe version etc etc.

To be a good PDF reader IMHO. It must be able to be uninstalled.
    It must be a bare bones PDF. It must not contain spyware or any other
    gimmics to promote something for God knows what reason. It should be tested
    enough that it works on the major email programs.

5. guest

guest Guest

Sumatra won't let you uninstall it? You're wrong, the uninstaller works very well. Sumatra is only an executable with no external dependencies. It doesn't even write to registry.

6. Shankle

Then why did I spent 2 hours trying to get it out of my puter?
    It was not listed in control panel add remove.
    I am running Vista.
    Try doing a search on sumatrapdf and see what you get.
    I am not aware of any uninstaller for sumatrapdf.

7. Dermot7

Not saying it's necessarily better or worse than any other, just that it's new and
    might be worth investigating. I prefer a smaller, barebones PDF reader, and only
    seek decent rendering, stability, and an enlarger, and have no use for added search engines, for example, or other "enhancements".

8. guest

guest Guest

There are 2 options, the installer and the zip. Look at: http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/download.html

The installer makes an entry in Add/Remove programs to uninstall Sumatra. Maybe some cleaner deleted the add/remove entry, but you can always run the uninstaller in the folder where Sumatra exe was installed - or just delete the folder. Another option would be to run the Sumatra installer again, which will overwrite the files and make everything be ok - the entry in Add/Remove will reappear.

But if you use the zip, it doesn't install itself anywhere so you can just delete the file.

9. Shankle

Slimpdf reader worked real nice on Vista in Thunderbird.
    Thanks

10. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Im using it and love it. I got rid of Nuance for it.

11. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

On my system (WinXP SP3) SlimPDF Reader behaves oddly. If the program is started by itself (no PDF file loaded) all is fine. However if there is a PDF loaded into the program its Private Bytes (in Process Explorer) skyrocket to around 170 MB. This is definitely abnormal behaviour. I don't know if it's just a bug or bad design but I find it completely intolerable. It's a shame really, because the program seems nice otherwise.

12. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

What garbage is this?

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

There's a third option I prefer whenever possible. And that is to use the version prepped by portableapps.com. And Sumatra PDF is available there. You can install it in a drive of your choice and just delete the folder if you don't like the programme. No need to clean up the registry either :)

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Do you know whether SlimPDF allows for setting text and page (background) colours? Adobe & Foxit allow this. The closest Sumatra comes is an "invert-colour" so black text on a white page can be rendered as white text on a black page.

15. Dermot7

vasa1, I don't think it does do this.
    Installed it to try. On installation, asks you to register (not essential) to receive
    product updates, news etc. Even if you decline this option, on completing installation still brings you to 2 pages on their site requesting registration, and advertising another product...could be worse, perhaps a small "price" to pay for a free app, but for me what turns me off is that it installs a facebook and a twitter button. I daresay they might be mentioned/covered in the EULA (which might be worth reading properly), but I wanted a PDF reader, not a twittering and fbing tool also.

Attached Files:

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Dermot, thanks for taking the trouble. I've asked for this feature over at Sumatra. Let's see. Pity about the Twitter/FB stuff but very often the length (and content) of the EULA can induce stupor :D .

17. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

The last time I installed FoxIt it installed some Ask.com garbage. I'm not sure if there was any option during the install, but Ask.com hijacked my home page, my default search engine, and the Ask.com toolbar was also installed. It was not simple to get rid of them.

I will never use Ask.com because I believe they are using some real sleazy tactics.

18. wearetheborg

Yeah, there is an option during install. AFAIK, Firefox also asks to install somoe toolbar(google?) during install. I always choose customized install because of crap like this :D

19. Dermot7

Also, worth noting that it's only the installer that's so remarkably small....1.42mb compared to Sumatra's 1.66 but, following installation the folder is quite larger:

Attached Files:

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

For what it's worth, the Foxit folder weighs in at just under 10 MB. This is the portable version that has no ask anything and which is available from here:
    http://portableapps.com/node/23484

21. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have used Foxit for some time, years. The version I have is a stand-alone, works with about every .pdf I have. Occasionally it closes when viewing a .pdf, but not very often. I don't like to view .pdf files in the browser, so I download and open with foxit. I tried a newer version last winter, and it offered nothing I needed but did have more bloat.

I will stick with this venerable version of foxit, tried and true. It is IMO the epitome of what a .pdf viewer should be - small, stable, stand-alone and free. These others like Sumatra are good for portability and are not bad really. Virtually anything is better than the Adobloatee Reader - I have despised that since version 5 I think it was. I would as soon get a Mac before using that program again. Just my tastes though ;)

Sul.

22. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Wow! Thanks for this excellent link.

24. wearetheborg

Hasnt Adobe Reader improved in recent years in terms of bloat; but yeah, Foxit is much lighter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.