Sleipnir , anyone used it ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rrrh1, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

English website:

http://www.fenrir.co.jp/en/sleipnir/

Thanks !

rrrh1

o_O

2. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I have tested it couple of times and then switched back to Opera :D

3. DonMartin

DonMartin Registered Member

Yes, I use Sleipnir on my office computer. We are not allowed to use IE7 and Firefox doesn't work :mad: .
    So it's the best thing I can use.
    Everything that works in IE6 also works in Sleipnir. One thing that I really like is that Roboform came with Sleipnir, so I don't have to remember all passwords. :D

Regards /Don

PS I'm using FF in all computers I have back home.

4. L815

L815 Guest

I have, but I keep going back to Opera and FF

5. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

The opposite of what I do. :D

I've been using Sleipnir for years now. It still has some deficiencies but I think it's the best IE based shell around. A lot of the plugin and support sites are Japanese only so that can be a problem.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Japanese browser maker takes on IE, Firefox
    Story

7. Arup

Arup Guest

For IE lovers a far better shell than Avant and Maxthon. Interface is fast and slick, if there was no Opera this would be my choice.

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I did try this but I couldnt figure out how to use the Gecko engine, plus I´ve read that FF extensions doesnt work? or is this really only a IE clone?
    How is this "high" customization made? Do they have their own extension system? I mean if I want to use my own gestures, move the tabs where I want and so on?
    I must admint that I only used it for an hour or so but I had hard time to find how to customize it the way I wanted it (they claim that a novice could handle it easily. I found for example maxthon and avant browser more customizable and easy to understand than this.
    I really didnt see why I should use this instead of Firefox, or IE for that matter.
    But I guess I´m too old and snowed in on what I already know :)

9. Espresso

I forget if the gecko extension is included or you have to download it as a plugin. If you want to load a page in gecko, just click the icon at the lower left on the status bar. You can set bookmarks to open in gecko as well or set the URL filter to open pages in gecko based upon keywords in the URL. It's a pretty basic gecko implementation so if you use this, you're going to be using it for the IE base, as that's where most of the Sleipnir plugins work.

Mouse gestures are in the Sleipnir options.

10. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

The world does not need another web browser!

I've seen 2 getting heavy publicity in the last few days - Slepnir and Orca. I applaud the devs for the hard work they've put in, but really, this is becoming like Linux - 10 million distros with no clear focus and a fragmented user base.

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I tried it but I didn't like it at all so after a day i removed it and am back to Opera

12. BrysonB

BrysonB Registered Member

I've been running it for a day now and am impressed. It's fast loading and navigates between sites quickly. It seems to be stable and responsive. It will not replace FF3 or Opera as my primary browsers, but is a nice IE alternative. I dumped Safari and hopefully will never have to use IE again! So, at the moment, I give it a qualified thumbs-up.

13. Arup

Arup Guest

As I said, an excellent IE alternative and must for those preferring to use IE only. The best IE shell out there period.

14. ex3

ex3 Registered Member

ive used it few times, i do like the browser but security wise, no way i dump FF+noscript

15. Espresso

You can turn off javascript/activex and turn it on for sites you want by clicking the security switch in the status bar (right-click for individual settings). You can set default security settings for sites in the properties page of their bookmarks or set a url filter that enables/disables security for the specified site. They do need a one-click method for setting default settings for a site, a la noscript.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  16. ex3

ex3 Registered Member

yes i did do some experiment with the setting, i have to spend a bit of time to understanding the features.

any plugins similar to addblocker, customizegoogle aavailabe for the browser,

17. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

While it does seem to be a nice browser, I still have to disagree. A few questions, how to:

-Super drag and drop?
    -put the tabs on bottom?
    -close tabs with double click?
    -autohide sidebar?
    -block ads?

18. Espresso

Super Drag plugin is still in Japanese. I have a version roughly translated, though.

Options->Dock->Tabs (Position->bottom)

Options->User Interface->Mouse Alias (Left Double Click dropdown menu)

Options->Dock->Explorer bar (many options there to customise its behaviour)

Nothing built-in. I use a hosts file so it's not a big deal for me. It would be a nice feature to have.

19. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The problem with Sleipnir is its options - the settings don't explain clearly enough what the check box is supposed to do in a few cases. I had to do quite a little experimentation here and there to get things proper.

Apart from that it is a fresh IE shell, very good IMO, and pretty much the fastest IE shell out there I have seen (but from a feature/user experience standpoint I still find Maxthon better).

20. Windfresh

Windfresh Registered Member

As I and we all know Sleipnir is a mere IE shell with all vulnerabilities of IE, so why is IE7 forbidden to be used in your officeo_O? I can't see any logic in here. It would be more appropriate to make use Opera or K-Meleon from the point of view of security...It doesn't make any sense to me...

21. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I don't know about it having all the vulnerabilities of IE. For example Maxthon does not suffer from all of IE's vulnerabilities due to its chrome which is different from IE's. I don't have any idea about Sleipnir but it should be similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.