Skype with care - Microsoft is reading everything you write

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Nebulus, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Another opinion on the subject:
    http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05/think-your-skype-messages-get-end-to-end-encryption-think-again/

The last paragraph sums it up very well:

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

It's not my evidence. It's what H-Online mentioned, and if you paid enough attention, you'd have understood that. Also, and now that you mention AVs, yes they add protection as they find new threats, but they do scan the file upon execution.

What H-Online mentioned, is that the HTTPS URL that they especially created was not access at the moment of the message, rather hours later. So, regardless of being able to protect the user, if this was a known malicious/phishing domain, this "security mechanism" only check the URL in question a few hours later, according to H-Online.

You'll have to debate with them (H-Online) whether or not not they're lying.

I didn't mention "HTTPS chat" (where have you read that?), rather HTTPS URL. Skype should have an option to be blind under certain situations, one being when users send HTTPS URLs.

I'm not a Skype user myself, and if I were intending to use it, I'd first read documentation at their website, including their FAQ and they do mention the following:

Unfortunately, in this case the "malicious user" is Skype/Microsoft themselves. After reading this late articles, I'd start digging for other info, and I'd stay the heck away from it. Something that I'm doing.

One question: Maybe you'd be OK with Microsoft and its SmartScreen to send URL info of your bank website login page to them? It seems you wouldn't mind that, at all. Just in case... we never know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.