Skype Connection Problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TomAZ, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I assume there are some Skype users among us. I'm a real newbie to all of this, but my daughter (who lives in another state) has suggested we give it a try - said it would be a nice way to keep in touch.

The concept is nice, but the problem we've run into on both ends is that we experience rather poor connection quality (affects both video and audio) on a pretty regular, but intermittent basis.

We both have "fast" internet connections, but usually "slow to medium" Skype connections. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and I don't know what to do to improve the permormance. Maybe it's just the nature of the beast (Skype):(.

Any suggestions?

2. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

Hi there, I don't know much how help I will be as I've never faced that issue. I also use Skype to keep in touch with my child even though I'd never have it on my computer otherwise. (HATE it!)

My first step would be to check any firewalls to see if anything is being blocked. I had to create some rather broad rules to get mine to function properly. I now basically have it set to allow all tcp/udp outbound connections with stateful inspection. If the firewall isn't blocking anything you may want to look into tweaking the router you use (if any) and add some port forwarding rules for whatever port was selected when you installed Skype. This can be checked (and changed) in the options > Advanced > Connection tab of Skype. I wouldn't recommend forwarding the 80 & 443 ports though if the box is checked there. I'll admit if this was an issue it would rear it's head before the connection was established and not during but worth checking (maybe?)

Aside from that the only thing that really springs to mind is that even on some 'fast' connections the upload rate can be hugely bottle necked in comparison. I'd 'guess' and that's all this really is....that one of you may suffer from this. I use an old webcam and it's resolution isn't all that great so my outbound data stream is rather low. I suspect however that if I were to have the newer breed of 720p+ I might run into issues as I am on one of those fast connections with a silly low upload rate. You might try lowering your cameras resolutions and see if that helps.

Those are the only things that really spring to mind at this point. ~hopefully another person here will have something more useful to suggest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.