Skype 6.2 for Windows with a New Toolbar & eGifting

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://blogs.skype.com/2013/02/13/skype-6-2-for-windows-with-a-new-toolbar-egifting/?

2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Full release notes for 6.2.0.106 are:

Changes in comparison with previous release:

New top toolbar with all major actions together in one place.
    Send eGift to friend who has a birthday
    Added option to send IM with ctrl+enter.
    Computers with Intel Pentium 3 or similar CPU’s, which do not support SSE2 instructions, are not supported anymore.

Fixed issues:
    Category Description
    Profile Profile country setting did not get saved
    Accessibility Some fields in incoming contact requests were not accessible.
    Add contact Adding a contact window was misplaced on multi-monitor setup
    File sending Changing received file name removed file extension.

3. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

This is strange.. because if I check my Skype version it says I have 6.1.0.129 and then if I check for updates it says I already have the latest installed.

Have Skype disabled the updates from within the program itself because I seem to remember there was an issue some time ago with browser home pages being changed when via the program updates where instigated.

Does this mean the only way to get new versions is via direct download and then do a reinstall over the top to preserve settings.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I noticed the same thing.

This worked for me.

5. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Thanks Daveski17 for that confirmation.

I will wait a day or two to see if the via program feature is activated and if not I may try a fresh download over the weekend.

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

You're welcome.

7. guest

guest Guest

I had the same experience yesterday and do know that from the past. - There is often a news flash about a new version but it's not available at that moment from within skype (build-in updater).

But also the manually downloaded version (.exe) did not work for me. I got an error msg at the end of installing it. And then I remembered I always need the .msi version on my system, found a link on skype's site and that worked. :cool:

8. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

it's not uncommon for software companies to release an update first as a direct download only before they add to it auto and manual update through the software itself. i sometimes get that with firefox too. my theory is that they want to see if there are any problems reported by users before unleashing the update on the wider user base.

9. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I thought that's what PRIVATE BETA'S were for

10. guest

guest Guest

Also load balancing is probably a reason. - I know that even from Webroot. Their client is really small (tiny!) but still not all people do get updates in the first minutes or hours, it's spread over days. - Skype has many millions of users, infrastructure would crash if they download the huge update all at the same time. ;)

I wonder what happened to the offline messaging? It's not back yet, right? - I guess that was somehow the reason for the great crash they experienced a few months ago. - Doesn't matter, if you don't want to wait you can get the update manually. (I am not a patient person, like beta versions and need them ASAP. :D)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.