SkyDrive app for Windows and Macs is available right now

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Current SkyDrive users will be able to keep their 25GB storage but new users will only have 7GB.
    According to MS, 7GB is what about 99.4% of current SkyDrive users are making use of. (See above linked article).

If you're an early adopter, you can keep using the 25GB storage by activating the 'free storage upgrade' from 7 to 25GB here; link

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I've installed this new SkyDrive app, but I'm already using Live Mesh. Unfortunately with Live Mesh you can't sync more than (I think) five gigs to the server. I believe that limitation is removed with this new SD app, but it's not clear how to migrate. I was already syncing my "Documents" folder to the server so it immediately appeared in the SD app, however I was syncing music and pictures peer to peer across two systems. How do I effectively add the server to the mix? TIA

5. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey ronjor
    Thank you for the notification about Skydrive, it is very much appreciated. Have already claimed my 25 Gb storage for free, and download the app to windows 7, works really well.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Great, but how did you set it up? Did you drag and drop your documents/pictures/music/video folders into the Skydrive folder?

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

That's what I did and it works well. You can mouseover the taskbar icon to see the syncing status. The actual SkyDrive folder is a local folder on your machine, the background task is what syncs the data. Claimed my 25GB for free too :)

8. guest

guest Guest

SkyDrive gets a new, smaller feature; shortlinks

SkyDrive gets a new, smaller feature; shortlinks

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2012
  9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Merged Threads to Continue Related Topic.

10. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Does the SkyDrive application use Live Sign-In Assistant?

11. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

for me SkyDrive keeps crashing on start up. I fixed it once by reinstalling it (over the previous installation), but then after a few days it started crashing again. fwiw, I'm also running Dropbox and Google Drive on the same computer, both of which work fine, except that I cannot stop Google Drive from auto-starting (unchecking the "Start Google Drive automatically when you start your computer" option has no effect).

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Apart from stability issues the main problem I have with SkyDrive is the loss of features compared to Windows Live Mesh. WLM has the ability to sync folders located anywhere on the hard drive instead of requiring the folders to all be dragged into one container folder. Perhaps this was too complex to implement in tablet and phone apps, but it's been nice not needing to disturb the folder structure on my PCs. I've read WLM is going away eventually, but I've also read the SkyDrive app is still being developed and may address this folder issue in the future.

13. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

The SkyDrive app feels a lot like DropBox. With a lot more storage.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

15. xxJackxx

16. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Seems it's not out quite yet, also, no news of a Linux client unfortunately.

17. xxJackxx

Nope, I read the update would be released over the next week automatically. You probably have to use Dropbox if you want to go Linux. :(

18. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i just installed it tonight.
    it's very nice and easy to use as it integrates with Windows Explorer quite nicely (and with DOpus as well) :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.