Skinning AOL's Active Virus Shield

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DaveD, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveD

DaveD Guest

This thread is dedicated to skinning AOL Active Virus Shield.

I have already modified my running copy of Active Virus Shield by modifying the images to exclude the AOL logos. I had to copy the images over the original images in Safe Mode though.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Are there easier ways to accomplish this?

Cheers,
    Dave

2. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

does it matter?

3. DaveD

DaveD Guest

Removing AOL's logo? No.

Making changes for the purpose of design and creativity? I don't see why not.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I've changed tray icon to Kaspersky "K" because AOL's green vault thing is the most grose thing i've ever seen. AOL logos on main interface do't bother me at all, just this tray icon...

5. DaveD

DaveD Guest

Did you just have to replace the 3 icons in the /images/tray/ directory?

The other icons that somewhat animate when updating and so on, do they still work properly?

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I've changed 4 files actually, tray icon in both states and one for processing indicator and one for update indicator. They worked fine and i've also left everything else intact as i had no need to change anything else.

7. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I just downloaded a few nice skins for Kaspersky. I'm sure that I could just copy those .ico files over the AVS ones or other images as well. But ultimately, I don't mind the look AOL has created for it, except for the green vault look as you had already mentioned. I do like to get creative once in a while though... so I may still make something more unique for it yet.

Most importantly, I hope AOL keeps this free after a year. Even so, they could always scrap the project at anytime for any reason according to the EULA. If they did I would probably buy Kaspersky (which I had never tried prior to this).

8. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Goody! Can you tell me how to do it? Pretty please? :( (RejZoR for the icons and DaveD for the skin)
    Offtopic: is it possible to use KAV's translations with AVS?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  9. DaveD

DaveD Guest

- Copy from aollogo.png and main_aol.bmp from C:\Program Files\AOL\Active Virus Shield\Skin\images\ to a temporary folder.

- Open aollogo.png with GIMP, use eraser to clean the whole thing out. Save.

- Open main_aol.bmp with GIMP. I copied the curved part from the right side, pasted it into a new temporary image, flipped it horizontally, pasted it back into the main image and move to matching curved area on left side. Save.

- Reboot PC and get into Safe Mode with F8 on boot.

- Copy images back into original directory.

You can get other skins for Kaspersky 6 and extract the images. Some images are renamed differently though, so you would have to rename them to match the image names to overwrite the Active Virus Shield images. Alternatively, you could change the file names in the configuration files but I am not too familiar with them yet.

Maybe we can eventually share our creations for this once something original is created.

I don't know how well this goes with their EULA though...

10. DaveD

DaveD Guest

RejZoR,

Where can you get the original Kaspersky .ico images for tray?

I could only extract the .msi installer from their main executable. The only way I could think of it would be to install it, copy images... but I don't really have the time to mess around like that.

Thanks,
    Dave

11. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I only want to change the tray icon of it...

13. DaveD

DaveD Guest

Much appreciated, thank you. Download link and icons worked perfectly.

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I can't test them right now, so if you can say what images we should have to change to these, would be very appreciated... ;)

15. DaveD

DaveD Guest

- Grab the icons that rpsgc posted
    - Boot into Safe Mode
    - Extract to C:\Program Files\AOL\Active Virus Shield\Skin\images\tray\
    - Allow to overwrite all
    - Reboot as normal

That's it.

rpsgc,

Can you possibly zip up that whole /images/ directory from KAV and post?

It should be around 2mb. I would like to try to recreate the whole KAV look into AVS. Just have to rename some images and such.

16. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Sure.
    But my folder only occupies around 500KB o_O
    http://www.box.net/public/hsv5ubh8ek

EDIT: Before it was KIS's images, now it's KAV's images.

17. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I've got the main window behaving and looking exactly like KAV. I still have to do the settings window, so I wont post anything just yet. I should also slow down on the rum and cokes or I wont get anywhere...

EDIT: Can somebody running KAV 6 grab me a screen shot of the settings window in original size?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2006
  18. epv888

epv888 Registered Member

Hi DaveD and Rpsgc,

Thanks for your tips on how to change the big green vault to kaspersky's "K" in the taskbar.

Your instructions worked for me flawlessly.

I can't wait to read DaveD's next post, hopefully about changing the whole look of AVS into a KAV.

Thanks again.

19. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You do realize that when you downloaded and agreed to the AVS EULA that you agree to this (You will not remove or alter any trademark, logo, copyright or other proprietary notices, legends, symbols or labels in the Software; (viii) block, disable, or otherwise effect any advertising, advertisement banner window, tabs, links to other sites and services, or other features that constitute an integral part of the Software; ) Trying to reskin AVS is in direct violation of AOL's EULA that you have already agreed to to be able to use the software. Since wilders does not condone illegal use of any software program and this thread is in direct violation of the eula, this thread will now be closed. bigc.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.