Size eventlog.dat 11.85 GB ?

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by treeby, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treeby

treeby Registered Member

I, use eset cybersecurity app for mac OS 10.7.3

During my last check for big folders / and files I noticed that my cybersecurity app has been grown to more than 11 gb, looking into the recource i found that the 11 gb is all in the eventlog.dat file.

can delete this? or is there a way to get the app back in normal app size?

2. foneil

foneil Eset Staff Account

3. treeby

treeby Registered Member

shure I can, but is it normal?

4. xpcomputers

xpcomputers Registered Member

I just found the same on a Mac here. The eventlog.dat file had grown to a monster 353GB! (which is 3/4 of the size of the whole 500GB disk!).

Is there a simple way to trim this file without removing and re-installing the product?

As a test I have renamed that file, and will try to reboot the machine in case it regenerates the file itself.

Is there some sort of log file cleaning built-in that I am missing?

The machine is running Eset Nod32 for Business v4.0.77 on a MacOS 10.7.4 (x64).

Hoping there is a simple solution out there...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  5. xpcomputers

xpcomputers Registered Member

As an update:

I have renamed the file Eventlog.dat to Eventlog.dat.old.dat
    Eset then complained the file was missing when I tried to open the Events logs, but a reboot of the laptop recreated a new proper sized small file again. I was then able to manually delete the old file and all appears to working correctly again, with the disk space recovered for normal use. I am concerned that it might come back again though over time...

This laptop has only had Eset on there for less than 6 months, and other Macs of a similar era of Eset install only total 100Mb for the whole Eset app package including everything (ie including this eventlog.dat file and the program itself etc).

However speaking to Eset NZ, it appears I am not alone in reporting this problem, so it looks like it is something that needs looking into by Eset to establish why some machine balloon this one file to astronomic sizes!!

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.