Sites reporting Ff 18 Final out!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Not available through update yet.

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Available through File Hippo Update Checker. Downloaded and installed it this morning.

The Cyberfox 18 update is not available yet and the new Waterfox 18 release has yet to be compiled.

3. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

it's available on majorgeeks.com since this morning

I switched to chrome and left this slow browser the heck alone with its useless updates that bring nothing substantial to the end user

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Eh, Chrome doesn't bring much to the table these days either. But yeah, I've not been impressed with FF for a while now. It seems to me they're going backwards in stability and performance.

5. encus

encus Registered Member

I've just manually checked for update and it said Firefox is up to date. My current version is 17.0.1.

Thanks.

6. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Latest version is 18.0. The final release is already out. Unix systems were updated on Monday.

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

if it's not there already it should be soon.
    (within 24 hours usually)

it still has not made it to the server i am using for Linux Mint.

8. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

There's a lot of FF users out there, it'll get pushed to you soon.

9. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

10. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

On servers now.

11. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Just Updated!

13. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Indeed, every incarnation seems to be a step backwards. I left for Chromium some time ago, and have only installed FF to remind myself why I stopped using it. It takes about 10 minutes of browsing before I am uninstalling it. I wish they would do what Chromium does, focus on optimization and speed, and removing bloat. Chromium actually becomes FASTER with each new build. 26 is quite a bit faster than 16 as an example. Opera hasn't done much to improve speed as well, sadly.

14. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I've switched to Chrome a couple of months back and after you get accustomed to Chrome's blistering speed in loading web pages Firefox seems like a turtle.

But beside the point, on a side note, I've installed Chromium once and didn't like the idea that I have to manually update it every once in a while and felt it was the same as Chrome especially after chrome introduced the do not track me feature. What makes you use chromium rather than the auto updating / auto syncing of bookmarks / extensions / settings Chrome?

Is there anything I am missing here maybe that is worth looking at?

15. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Just a reminder that this thread is about latest FF. Discussion about other browsers issue elsewhere please.

16. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

17. niki

niki Registered Member

I checked it out and page just loaded fine for me in Fx v 18.0 Browser seems snappier as well.

18. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I wonder what they changed in a week's time then, because I was in the Beta channel while 18 was there and only on very light pages was it ever considered "snappy" for me.

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

20. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Same here. :thumb:
    No problems with that site.

21. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Seems so, but opt-in: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Fire...pting-Content-for-Added-Security-310150.shtml

However, it gives no warning on this test page:
    https://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/browser/mixedcontent/assets/woodgrove.htm
    If I change the about:config settings from the article it succesfully blocks the HTTP content, however it gives no warning it all, whether it blocks it or not, same on nytimes.com which also has mixed content, and I have set security.warn_viewing_mixed to True.

22. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Interesting, thank you. Since it says *viewing* one could argue that such a warning shouldn't appear if the content is blocked. However, then you wonder why they didn't do something like change security.warn_viewing_mixed to security.mixed_content.warn_when_detected so that you could have options such as:

Just warn:
    security.mixed_content.warn_when_detected;true
    security.mixed_content.block_active_content;false
    security.mixed_content.block_display_content;false

Just block:
    security.mixed_content.warn_when_detected;false
    security.mixed_content.block_active_content;true
    security.mixed_content.block_display_content;true

Warn and block:
    security.mixed_content.warn_when_detected;true
    security.mixed_content.block_active_content;true
    security.mixed_content.block_display_content;true

I've been using ABE to block mixed and, at least how I have it configured, it doesn't display warnings. So I can live without that but it might be nice to have. Edit: is there any other type of indication that you aren't viewing all that the source website tried to include?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  23. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Fx 18 seems as fast as Chrome to me on three separate computers & two different operating systems. I haven't lost any extensions with Fx 18 either. It does make me wonder just how soon Fx 18.0.1 will be released though ... ;)

24. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Some of you, myself was one, may have problems with FF18 if you use Sandboxie, the problem has a thread started at the Sandboxie forums. The problem manifests itself as the menu drop downs and bookmark folders do not work, all you get are empty black boxes.

The solution: turn off "Use hardware acceleration when available" in the Options > Advanced > General tab. You will probably have to start FF18 unsandboxed in order to get into the Options. Don't know how many Sandboxie users will have this problem.

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14439

Acadia

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  25. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Yes, it would be clearer if they changed it to warn_when_detected. I had it to False, like I said when I changed it to True it doesn't warn, but after a browser restart it works normally. It still doesn't work on the MS test site though. Even if I have mixed content allowed, there is still a HTTPS lock icon left of the URL so it seems it doesn't serve HTTP content or it is already blocked through Adblock or others, however the warning that your identity is stolen still shows up, and it doesn't if I block mixed content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.