Sitecom Cloud Security - Hitman Pro in the Router

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Habakuck, Sep 3, 2012.

1. markloman

markloman Developer

The physical hardware was manufactured before QA was finished. So the hardware was shipped with an older version of HitmanPro.UTM, without exploit prevention and do-not-track. Sitecom will automatically update your router somewhere in the coming weeks though.
    If you like you can also PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you this new firmware with exploit prevention and do-not-track.

2. Augustiner

Augustiner Registered Member

Thanks a lot @markloman for your answer. The support form sitecom is horribe:thumbd: l. I got the answer form Sitecom today. He said I must adjust it in my browser. The only reason to buy this router was Hitman in the router:thumb: . I love it.
    Will sent you an PM
    thanks

3. Esse

Esse Registered Member

I am starting to sell the WLM-6600 (Modem/Router), WLR-6100 (Router) and the business router WLR-4002B in Sweden now.
    Only in small scale but nevertheless :)
    I have been testing the WLM-6600 for a few days now and I must say that the HitmanPro UTM feature is impressive.
    Also important is that I cannot feel any latency at all with the Cloud feature enabled.
    I have a few questions regarding some situations that came up, (and will come up) that I like to ask you guys about (Marc or Erik), is it ok to send you a PM?

/E

4. markloman

markloman Developer

Good to hear :)
    And sure, just send me a PM and we'll help you out any way we can!

5. Esse

Esse Registered Member

Great Mark!
    I will collect input from the testers and get back to you.

/E

6. Augustiner

Augustiner Registered Member

Hi Mark
    the first start of Google Chrome takes much longer when I start IE with Win 8.
    Do you have an solution?
    thankso_O

7. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Mark/Erik,

Would one of those Sitecom routers using HMP have protected the user from the recent Zeus malware at the Dutch news site nu.nl?
    See https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=348355

Erik already answered in the HMP thread that HMP detects and cleans it:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2238215&postcount=5423
    But I am curious how those Sitecom routers with HMP handle this.

Another question, if you allow me:
    Is one (or more) of those Sitecom routers using SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection)? If so, which one(s)?

Thanks in advance.

8. Esse

Esse Registered Member

@Mark/Eric, FYI!
    Large downloads, especially iso files fails when SCS is enabled.
    Non iso files, like exe:s, zip:s needs multiple tries to be able to finish. (if ever)
    Disable the SCS fixes the problem every time so far.
    Did try to download Avast Free yesterday a couple of times without luck, until I did disable SCS.

/E

9. Esse

Esse Registered Member

Tested again (same results: iso downloads gets interrupted) and discovered that also the download speed suffers badly from having SCS enabled.

/E

10. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

This happened to Untangle too. Older versions of Untangle you had the option to uncheck it to allow interrupted scans. Newer versions of Untangle they took away the option and it is forced interruption that solved their large file drop problem. The problem with that is it catches less.

Untangle uses Clam and dropped Kaspersky and brought on Commtouch. Commtouch is C+ league AV far from the quality of Kaspersky.

It is just too bad that Untangle or Zyxel USG series can't/won't use Hitman UTM. They both are Linux based, so the coding would fit. I wish SurfRight would sell Hitman UTM to Zyxel. They use AhnLabs 15,000 max sigs and Kaspersky 2,500 max sigs. Only one scanner can be used at a time and once you choose you keep it for that yearly subscription. Zyxel needs help too.

I have been told by someone at Zyxel they are coming out with new USG type hardware that is more powerful to handle all the services that the current lower USG have a hard time doing. In a year or so.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  11. markloman

markloman Developer

Hi Esse, what modem/router model are you testing with and what version of our UTM software is on there (you can see if in the footer of each UTM screen).
    Also, what is the speed of your internet connection and which ISP is supplying it?

12. markloman

markloman Developer

Sitecom has hardware that is capable enough. They released the new WLR-6100, WLR-7100 and WLR-8100 (both with 802.11ac) which are crazy fast, reaching 140 Mbps UTM scanning throughput. And you can get one for less than 110 euros, if you search a little.

BTW, Kaspersky's engine will be added to the HitmanPro.UTM cloud soon - since yesterday it's active in the HitmanPro anti-malware Windows application. So HitmanPro.UTM will have the #1 and #2 of the world (according to independent laboratory tests) ;)

13. Esse

Esse Registered Member

Hi Mark, using the WLM-6600 X6 N900 Modem/Router on a 24/2Mbit connection from NetAtOnce in Sweden.
    Usual download speed is between 18-19 Mbit steady.
    Situation above downloading the iso:s dropped to 7 Mbit when SCS was enabled.
    Regarding the UTM software is this what you mean?

"Powered by patented HitmanPro technology from SurfRight
    Copyright © 2013 Sitecom, All rights reserved
    UTM/1.5.3 (WLM-6600/v1001; 1.11)"

/E

14. markloman

markloman Developer

You have the latest UTM. I did some tests with a big ISO file (Ubuntu Desktop, ~740 MB) but I haven't seen a problem - it finishes perfectly. I'll try a bigger one later on.

Regarding the hardware... Unfortunately, the WLM modem routers are based on a totally different hardware platform than the WLR routers. The CPU on the WLM models are also doing some DSL and Wi-Fi stuff which is (also) causing the drop in speed. We always recommend WLR routers instead of the WLM modem routers. For just surfing the web, the WLM is fine though...

15. Esse

Esse Registered Member

I do not have Wi-Fi enabled and if the cpu:s are at all similar to the R models it should have no problems with only 20 Mbit right?
    Size wise the iso you did try to download would be enough to be interrupted here.
    As you see in my earlier post I could not even download Avast Free, and that one is around 55MB if I remember correctly? And it is a exe file.
    Is there a log function I can use to assist you further in this matter?

/E

16. Esse

Esse Registered Member

Was just trying to download Zorin OS Lite ISO here (786MB), got interupted at 18MB and half the download speed with SCS enabled.
    Downloading now at full speed and no interruptions with SCS disabled o_O

/E

17. markloman

markloman Developer

You are using a Sitecom modem router. We have no experience with any Sitecom ADSL-based hardware (WLM-xxxx). We, at SurfRight, have only used WLR-xxxx router hardware (reaching 140 Mbps) and we do not see any of the problems you are experiencing. I will forward your experience to Sitecom R&D.

18. Esse

Esse Registered Member

Thanks Mark.

/E

19. markloman

markloman Developer

Sitecom R&D investigated the problem and it seems there is a threading issue in the current Linux configuration on the WLM modem router (WLR routers are not affected). In the meantime, to circumvent the issue on your WLM, you could use a download manager and you should see a download speed of around 2 MB/s with Cloud Security enabled.

20. Esse

Esse Registered Member

It is not a big problem for me, just wanted to report the issue.
    Good to know they are on it, in the meantime I just disable SCS when downloading large files.

Thx Marc.

/E

21. Esse

Esse Registered Member

Is there any any change in engines used in the UTM module now as you guys moved things around a bit with the HitmanPro scanner?

/E

22. Esse

Esse Registered Member

Is it still only port 80 that are scanned?
    What about port 443, I heard that malware using this port more then port 80?

/E

23. Pedersen

Pedersen Registered Member

What is the difference between WLR-2100 , WLR-3100 og WLR-4100 ?

Can you feel the difference in a normal household?

24. Esse

Esse Registered Member

The difference should be in hardware, higher number higher spec hardware.
    I always go for the higher range to avoid bottlenecks in throughput WAN-LAN, simultaneous connections, wireless speed etc.
    It comes down to how many users in the family, surfing habits, torrents and so on, more juice in the router = fewer problems.
    Just make sure the router is labeled with:"Sitecom Cloud Security"
    I think all X series are, just to make sure you get the advantage of Hitmanpros Cloud tech.

/E

25. Pedersen

Pedersen Registered Member

Thanks Esse.

You know any good place to order it? Live in Denmark so need EU shipment like you did.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.