site that locks up chromium

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by scott1256ca, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

If I had a better title, I'd have used it.

I really don't know whether the following is malware or not. I wasn't willing to test it any further than I did, but I know there are members here who revel in such stuff, so I thought I'd post this.
    Went to the following site
    ps3cfix.com
    and when I tried to leave, it popped up a message telling me it didn't want me to leave and to click ... Sorry, don't remember the exact words.
    My philosophy is never click such things, but to kill the browser, expecting this to be something malicious. probably javascript (which I had changed to allow all sites, then forgot to disable it).
    In any case, once it pops up its message, it doesn't allow you to close the browser by other means and it doesn't allow you to click other tabs.
    So I killed off with system monitor (since I'm running linux atm), then restarted and had to go set chromium to start at the homepage, instead of reopening the existing session, then had to kill the processes again.

I raised this because in the last couple of years, I've actually not had any problems with this type of thing. I don't browse on the wild side much, or maybe I've just been lucky.

So any of you who feel brave may want to go investigate. I don't :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.