Single Product test of Ikarus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MalwareDie, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

It got 97% but the test set is almost two months old so it had plenty of time to add to its signature database. I dont know if IBK will include it in 2008 but i think he will. There is no way it is not gettting at least standard... I think.

2. IBK

IBK AV Expert

No, I will not (agree to) include Ikarus.

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

It seems that Ikarus does very few analysis of samples. They seem to add all samples which are detected by others AVs.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Any particular reason for this, Andreas?

I tested this AV about 2-3months ago and it was very light in real-time, a fast scan speed and support was superb even with the trial version. But I preferred the GUI of version 2 :p

Worth keeping an eye on.

5. IBK

IBK AV Expert

yes, but i prefer to do not comment further the reason(s) of the decision.
    There will be anyway separate tests for it from time to time.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

is there a English download of the product. I am game.

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

something dodgy about the antivirus, if IBK 'chooses' not to add it to the test.

:shifty:

8. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Is ikarus one of those that flag everything?

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i really dont know much about it sorry,

its not really one i have trialed properly before, its a mystery to me :)

but it does make you wonder.

10. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Curious, but I have to respect IBK's decision based on the assumption that there is a valid reason.
    Based on av-comparative's latest test, Ikarus did rather well (probably attaining an 'Advanced' level.

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Dodgy? Possibly an unfounded & damaging assumption.

I searched the net and found that Ikarus has been involved in several lawsuits, having won all that I ran across. Also, I found no negatives whatsoever as to the company's ethics or practices. Of course, I have seen forum comments re Ikarus AV to the effect that "There are better choices" -- but just about any software receives that sort of comment from time to time.

Perhaps someone, who is better at research than I am, can find some derogatory information about Ikarus software company. I could not find any.

Until there are hard facts to the contrary, I would think "innocent until proven guilty" is appropriate. Speaking only for myself, I am much more impressed by the positive comments that Blackcat posted earlier in this thread, as opposed to what another poster chose NOT to post.

There is such a thing as *assassination by insinuation.*

Meanwhile, back at the thread -- does anyone know of an English-language download site for Ikarus AV?

12. IBK

IBK AV Expert

You can choose english language within the product. Just download the setup from their site. (otherwise you can also try their cmdline scanner).
    Please no insinuations about why I do not include it in the main tests. I may not confirm any theories anyway.

13. Blackcat

That's a big increase since it was tested in February of this year; score then was only 82%.

14. IBK

IBK AV Expert

it was 75%.

15. Blackcat

Thanks for the correction Andreas; even better. Any idea why the big difference in detection rate?

16. IBK

IBK AV Expert

yes, but i am not very talkative lately...

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Cant say I blame you. But keep in mind, with 99.9 percent of us here, you are still number 1 and the most trusted source for accurate and quality testing. I mean that my friend.;)

19. IBK

IBK AV Expert

my official answer is the new t3 engine (which is an improvement) and the 2month old test-set (which may have a big effect in this specific case). i may look how it will score in future single product tests with a more actual test-set. if i do not want to say something it sometimes could mean that either i do not want to harm someone or that i need more proofs (otherwise it is only an opinion, and some peoples take my opinions as facts) before i say something, etc. - in any case I may have my reasons/reservations. At the end of the report is also a comment section which is worth reading.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  20. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Its better that way sometimes :)

Update: To all people who have sent me a PM in the past few days, I have not forgotten, but still lack the time to reply in a comprehensive way. However, I will try to reply over this weekend!

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the more i read this thread, the more interest i seem to get :rolleyes:

of course, you shouldnt say what you may think unless proof is in the hand, but these comments still lead me to think (as did the first post from yourself) that something is not quite right with this antivirus, and you are right, if you said so, even without proof... people would believe it,

i believe your 'thoughts' about this, would be very damaging to the antivirus in question.

o_O

to be honest, i aint too interested about the antivirus itself anyway, its not really known here in the UK (maybe at all) , so i would have never taken the risk anyway.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I downloaded this yesterday and it looked promising. Problem was on install it could not detect my basic internet setup. Nor after the install could I ever get it configured. This is a task that just about every product has no issues with on install, but theirs did. It looked pretty good though for the short time I had it with 2 year old virus definitions.:cautious:

23. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Count me in that 99.9 percent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.