Simply (?) Restore Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cfourkays, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cfourkays

cfourkays Registered Member

Have the Home 9.0.
    The .tib is backed up to both my second HD and 2 DVD's.
    I wanr to clean my C: drive and "selectively" restore my OS and programs, if possible.
    After I format the drive, and boot from my TI CD, can I do the above?
    It says restore the entire disc or select files.
    I'm not concerned about the files, I want to restore Programs.
    I'm sure this has been asked many times but if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
    Pete

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“I'm not concerned about the files, I want to restore Programs.”

Programs consist of many parts. The .exe, .dll, etc. files which can be stored in many different places; all the registry entries which are even more widely scattered. Restoring a “program” is a far more daunting task than simply restoring the target install folder.
    Even if you restore all the files, AFAIK, you can't "restore" the registry entries. You can only export them from a working registry.

3. cfourkays

Thanks, Weaz.
    Well aware that you cannot restore, normally, files belonging to a program and expect the program to work. We've never been able to do that in the past.
    What I'm trying to avoid is restoring all the backed up programs and assorted crap after cleaning the HD. I thought maybe the image mounting feature allowed that, somehow.
    I didn't think we had progressed that far where we can restore the programs.
    maybe someday.:doubt:
    Thanks,
    Pete

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Since you have a “before” image, you could go through Add/Remove and uninstall any old stuff you don’t want as well as deleting any old files/folders. Create another “after” image and then have at the C: drive.

5. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Since you're going way back to format the drive you might as well re-install your programs from scratch. That way you can get a "clean" installation. You can then use the backup you made and extract from it your data only files, like documents, spreadsheets, mp3s, pictures etc.

6. cfourkays

Thanks, Ralph.
    Been there, done that many times.
    I do a lot of beta testing and fooling around with trial programs.
    Most of the time my PC is usually pretty clean.
    I use TI mainly as a reliable backup for everything, in case of the big kahuna.
    I was just looking for an easier, softer way.
    Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.