Simplistic 7 Step Choice Algorithm to Select Anti-Virus Products

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Escalader, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Couple of comments.

1. I am totally surprised that KAV is no where on your list.

2. There are other factors that might be more important, like update frequency.

3. One of the main reasons I use KAV is scanning speed. After the first scan, I can rescan my drive in a matter of a few minutes.

4. A lot is being hung on the hat of heuristics. This is getting like firewall leaktests. I don't really care about heuristic ability. I would feel much safe with a AV ths scored high on signature detection and did lousy with heuristics, and then use an easier hips like Online Armor, or Prevx1 along with something like Sandboxie.

5. If I was recommending an AV to a non computer type, I would advise them to try one of the simplier like F-Prot. Might not score as well, but it still will do an excellent job. I'd rather see someone with an AV that they can use easily and will keep up today, then one they aren't comfortable with and won't end up using. In this situation most people won't go thru this type of exercise, and I wouldn't have the time to take them thru it.

Still in all very interesting.

Pete

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Yes, but what happens after the trial is finished? I don't see any link to purchase a license...

3. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.