Simple question concerning multiple network interfaces

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by supox, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supox

supox Registered Member

Hi,

I've had little luck trying to find out if Look'n'Stop rules apply to every network interface available, although only one is selected? I presume this is not the case, but would like someone to verify this.

I did find out that I might simply launch another instance of LnS to cover the second interface (Hamachi client in my case), but I always prefer to keep the amount of running processes to a minimum. :)

Love this firewall so far, but it seems Hamachi's developer doesn't. And phant0m, if you read this thread, thanks for the great ruleset! Took a while for me to figure it out, since I've only used Kerio and Sygate before, but it was worth it. :D

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

You are correct, there is no way to have one Look 'n' Stop instance working on several network interface.
    If you start several instances, note that only the application is started twice, (dll, drivers are started only once) and Application Filtering is enabled only in the first instance, so actually the additional process would not consume a lot of CPU (all the important work is done in the driver, the looknstop.exe process is there only for configuration and log display).

Frederic

3. supox

supox Registered Member

Excellent, thanks for the quick response.

4. supox

supox Registered Member

It appears there is a bug related to having several instances of LnS running at once:

If I close Hamachi (and the virtual driver it uses) while an LnS instance is monitoring it, I will get a BSOD. A friend also had a crash occur when he accidentally picked the same network interface in two LnS instances, possibly a BSOD - I'll have to ask him for details later. The OS in both cases was XP SP2.

5. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Could you send me the Minidump file (from c:\windows\minidump) at lnssupport@soft4ever.com ?
    Also tell me what was the version you were using exactly (2.05, 2.05p2 or 2.05p3).

Thanks,

Frederic

6. supox

supox Registered Member

Just sent the minidump file to you. I'm using version 2.05sp2 right now.

7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, this is a known issue, you must ensure, the two instances really work on
    two different network interface.
    Especially, this means the automatic selection can't and must not be used when using 2 instances.

Frederic

8. supox

supox Registered Member

Thanks for the response. Both me and my friend had disabled automatic selection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.