Simple File only Antivirus/AntiTrojan?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AnthonyG, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi,

I currently own two PC's, a main fairly fast PC and an old slow backup PC.

I have a licence to use Kaspersky on the one main PC.

But after having some serious hardware problems with the main PC I am forced to use the backup PC until I can afford to replace the faulting parts (i.e motherboard).

I have for the last month or so been using AVG free, which is ok but it seems to find too many F/P for my liking, plus there is no way that I can find to stop it from disabling all accesses to the files that it doesn't like.

This is annoying so I uninstalled it.

So after hearing many forum members mention it frequently, and having the first free edition .exe on my system for an age now but never getting around to trying it I decided to give Sanboxie a go.

Needless to say I am absolutely converted now. :thumb:

On this slow PC it runs like a dream, and after only a few hours of use has already saved me from a probable Zlob trojan and a Zango infection.

So for this slow PC I have decided to continue to use Sandboxie and keep Kaspersky for my main PC.

However I would still like at the very least to have some antivirus protection on this PC.

Therefore as the application files I download are usually in either Zip or Rar form, I know Winrar has the ability on extraction of a Zip/Rar to quickly open and test it with a file antivirus.

This sounds like the easiest and logicalest way to achieve what I need and secure my system so is there any simple file only anti-virus/Trojan application I could use (hopefully free).

I don't really wish to install a full on antivirus, then finding ways to disable every feature bar the simple file scanner, and also have it using large amounts of memory in the background whilst running.

So I remembered a while back AOL offered a free simple Kaspersky file only scanner, which sounded great and exactly what I may need. However on googling it now it seems they have switched to a Mcafee only engine :(

So can I ask if there is anything else anyone would recommend to check files for Viruses and Trojans. (I know I can go online each time and use an online file antivirus checker, but I would rather the process be fully automatic with winrar and having it set to open a simple file AV/AT checker on every extracted file.

Thanks for any suggestions
    Anthony

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.