Similarity with anti-virus business and medicine!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firefighter, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Have anyone thought so simple analogy as av-business and medicine?

If we are looking at desease infections in human beings, how do we totally stop serious deseases in one country, where is not so much money to waste to pure medical business? I think, I am not a medicine man, that we must find the first object where the desease is infecting in.

I have passed the compulsory militar service in the Finnish Army, where we all were vaccinated against the all possible common diseases. After that only few people were got ill.

How is it within the web world. The biggest players in the av-business are not at all interested in to cure the whole virus infections problem. Because doing so, they are loosing their profits. They are only interesting in that, in those several in the Wild tests their programs are within the winners, and the consumers do think that they are in safe now. There’s a phrase: “never kill a goose which lays golden eggs.” So there is no interest in to decrease the turnover. That’s why the biggest players in av-business are quite poor in archives scanning.

If you are not among the top three, you have to had something special, you have to detect all possible viruses from your PC so totally as possible, that’s why Kaspersky, DrWeb, RAV and Avast 4 Pro are very good in archives scanning, there is no room to Symantec , McAfee or Trend Micro in this competition. Because they have the money they want in this business and they want not to loose that.

If everyone has Kaspersky in their PC, iMesh and Kazaa are no risk at all to spread viruses in the web, because all the PC:s in world were as clean as possible, you can’t get infected in such a web community, where all files are checked.

I have three teenagers in my family and they are downloading what so ever with iMesh and Kazaa from the web, but that’s why there is RAV and DrWeb in our PC:s, because of that they are very good in archives scanning. Unfortunately Kaspersky 4.0 doesn’t do it’s job so well, that our surfing may continue without interruptions in our PC with my cellular phone modem, that’s why the choises are DrWeb and RAV.

The Russians have always been our arrivals, but under 700 years we have understood, that there isn’t so bad, that we coudn’t learn somenthing about. At least they are the best chess players in the world, and there is not so far away to the point that those people are among the best mathematicians in the world and IT business is all within good mathematicians.

By the way, how many knows that the elite of russians are from Viking Origing some one thousand years ago from Sweden?

To Straight Shooter, I am very pleased, that you have interest to check all my 97 writings. Maybe there is something in your mind that has a need to chance the behaviour to see the world something else!

The world is much simplier, you ever learn!

“The truth is out there, but it hurts!”

Best regards,
    Firefighter!”

2. Oh My God!!! :eek:

He's Calling Me By Name, Now!!!

LOL!

Just kidding!

Take it easy, I think you're TOO obsessed with this "Archive Scanning"
    Stuff...

Enjoy your computer, Man.. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing...

Chill out, Firefighter, Chill Out...

PS.. Are you really a Finnish Firefighter? Can't be very busy, eh? It's all Ice up there!

Later, Man...

Shooter...

3. root

root Registered Member

Sheesh!!!! Coffee all over the keyboard, the monitor and up my nose.
    I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. :D :D :D

4. Firefighter

To Straight Shooter from Firefighter!

I appreciate your opinion, but I think that I have thrown many issues to everyone so, that there is a bit to everyone to think something difference about.

Are you sure, that if you have made full scannings to your PC with one of the best in the Wild av-programs, there is no danger to everyone else who is coming to your PC with iMesh or Kazaa to be infected with a virus.

I have to be worried about my kids, because they are not thinking that kind of issues, all that matters is a new PC came they have downloaded to My PC with iMesh or Kazaa.

Our future is in our kids, and we must be a bit of interested in it!

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

5. Oh, believe me, I'm thinking about a lot of things... But it keeps coming back to the same thing.. Just stick to Nod32 and TH or TDS and everything will be all right... I just trialed Extendia, and it took 2 and a half hours for it to tell me the same thing NOD32 and TH would have told me in 20 minutes tops...

Well, I don't have any kids, but I have a device that is heavy on one end with a handle to "break anyone's little fingers" that's known as a "hammer"..

Besides man, just go buy yourself a good cloning program like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, and make yourself a good clone of your system. when your kids go to bed, wake up in the middle of the night and "re-clone" your computer the way you want to.. It will take, oh, say 20 minutes-30 minutes on the average...

Later, Firefighter...

6. Firefighter

To Root from Firefighter!

I am very slow to learn something. What are those applauds and smites? Can I do something about those?

My way of living has always been that never heard what the others says you are doing with something. I am a bit of confused. Is it so that I am going to jail, when my applauses are only 2 but my smites are so far some 12?

Is there some department of corrections, where my place is in this web site?

What I am talking about now, I am very serious about this, because my english teacher said that your english was worse than ever, that's why I have got 5/10 in my Finnish high shcool in english language! Maybe that’s why she became a maid and unmarried.

I know, that when I started these discussions, before that everyone of you have very good feelings withouth me, but now, I think that I am a pain in someones a... o_O

By the way, I am not actually from Finnish origin, my forefathers were from Denmark about 600 years ago, and I can speak only finnish and swedish, what a shame. They have a very nice approach to living, if you are going to hell, why not choose the first class? :D ;) :cool:

"The truth is out there, but it burts!"

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

7. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

8. root

root Registered Member

Hi Firefighter. Sometimes language can be a problem. I got a laugh out of what Straight Shooter posted because it was a a cute joke, but not really at your expense. I hope I did not offend you.

If you really don't understand - it is a function of the bulleting board where users can show their approval or disapproval of what someone has posted. It really should not be uses to show like or dislike of a person, and I hope no one does that. I give some people applause when they post a very helpful post that is just a little above the average. I never choose to smite a person, even if I do not care for what they say. Non of your smites came from me.

If you want to do something about changing things around so you get more applause and fewer smites, I can only suggest that you seem to be on a personal crusade, and some people may feel you are too aggressive about your approach to proving your point.
    I believe you are not a bad person, Firefighter. I think you are having a hard time in expressing yourself in a more friendly manner. This is very difficult to change, because your perception of the use of some words and phrases in the English language are already set, and it is going to be difficult for you to learn how to re phrase what you say, so that you do not seem so aggressive.
    I understand you are concerned for your children, and I understand you are trying to make other people aware that if they do not take proper precautions, they could be spreading bugs that will eventually reach your children. I think everyone here would like to help educate everyone on the internet about practicing safe surfing habits.
    The reason I visit boards like this is number one to help people solve problems with their computers and programs where I can, and second, I try to spread the word about proper safeguards against malware.
    While doing that, I have to accept the fact that everyone is not going to think all of my priorities are as important as I think they are. It does no good to try to convince people that already have their mind made up. But where a person can do some good is to try to give intelligent, informed answers to people that are asking for opinions and guidance.
    What SS said about imaging your drive is good advice. It will give you much peace of mind while you are trying to spread the word to others that it is important to have good protection.
    To be an effective teacher, one has to be a good learner and a good listener. Never try to prove a point, rather try to stress you point where necessary. People do not learn when they are on the defense.
    I and a couple of others have tried to get you to take it a little easier. You do not need to be so intense to share your knowledge. A little at a time goes down easir than one big gulp.

I hope you take this in the friendly manner in which it is offered. You asked, and I gave my opinion.
    If you are offended or wish to say something, feel free to PM me. I will give you my email if you wish it.

Have a nice evening. :)

9. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Would that be "Thor's Hammer" by any chance. :D

Seriously, Firefighter, what root says is very true. [I just hit the applause button on him ;) ]

The language of English is the most complicated in the world, many many words which are spelt the SAME way have a different meaning in a number of ways, so sometimes your posts make us laugh/smile, not sarcastically, but just because of the way you 'said' it.

You said you speak two languages, well you are one up on me for a start, only English here, although I can order Thai food using the correct language, LOL [love Thai]

Straight Shooter's post after yours had several puns [play on words] in it, so that's why the laughter.

You come from a cold climate therefore the reference with the not much to do as ice around as far as fire goes]

He said to "chill out" another reference to the cold climate [I laughed at that one ;) ]

Then came the reference to his having a hammer then my quote above referring to the mythical god Thor.

I have read several of your posts Firefighter and I can see you are passionate about security for your PC. This is a "given" [meaning there is no arguing the point on that score] as virtually 99% of people in here ARE here for that very reason.

Each of us has, in their own way, annoyed someone at sometime, hence the "smites". Root's observation of your posts [he has probably read more than I have] indicates you *may* be trying too hard to push the point, but does not in any way diminish your concern about security.

Anyway Firefighter, that's enough ramblings from me mate, and as we like to say on a "hot" day [yep, no ice here, just scorching heat] "downunder" [Australia]..........

Cheers and Beers,
    TAS

edit: I too, like root, have never "smited" someone [yet]. If it's just a difference of opinion, that's no reason at all. Maybe if someone got very personal and nasty then I might, but then again, that's what the MODS are here for. :cool:

10. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Well FF, Mcafee has a better archive and packer support then either RAV, DrWeb or Avast! ;)

McAfee VS is next to KAV.

Technodrome

11. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Take no heed of the 'applauds and smites' FF, they dont mean alot.
    I think it may well be a language thing, expressing things in type in a language not native to you I imagine is very tricky.

I feel that some of your posts were a little aggressive, to me, they came over as though you were trying to tell us we all were wrong and your views on scanning archives and as many files as possible were the only correct views.

But dont worry, if we all had exactly the same outlook on security it would make for boring reading, enjoy your time here and continue in your posts, they are thought provoking and I enjoy reading them, your views are just as valid as anyone else here :)

Now we'd better get back 'on topic' before we get ticked off

;)

Kev

12. Firefighter

To Technodrome from Firefighter!

Hi, I made full scans with McAfee Professional Edition 7.01 without Firewall and DrWeb 4.29b to compare their real files detecting capability from my PC. DrWeb detected first 99 162 files and after that McAfee detected 49 860 files with full scan positions.

I couldn’t believe the result yet and checked the c’t 13/2002 av-test, made probably May 2002, and there said that McAfee was worse in almost all archives scanning categories than Drweb but once that was equal.

My scanning settings with McAfee 7.01 were:

Scan compressed, subdirectories, boot sector, for programs, MIME/UUEncoded files, OLE objects. Heuristics macro/program possibility was enabled as the all file extensions.

I have not found so poor files detector from my PC, after that I started to count files. With Norton 2003 and Pc-Cillin 2003 I have not counted the scanned files, so I can’t say anything about their real scanning capability in my PC.

My McAfee Pro Edit’s full notations were 7.01.6000 and the scanning engine version was 4.1.60.

Hopefully I have done something wrong, in point of fact I made two scans with McAfee with somewhat same results, but if that is true? :D ;) :cool:

“The truth is out there, but it hurts!”

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

13. wizard

wizard Registered Member

McAfee VirusScan scans less archive formats than DrWeb. But the point is that the amount of files scanned is not saying anything about the quality of an antivirus product. Or someone ever been infected by an zip-file. ;) Archive scanning is a 'nice to have feature' but not necessarely required for protection.

wizard

14. Firefighter

To Wizard from Firefighter!

If that you say is true, so I may have done that comparing test somewhat properly. :D

The whole archives scanning issue is a kind of responsibility question. You must understand that there are poor or careless people all the time in the web.

Many friends of my kids have got viruses once a month, by using Kazaa or what ever, when they have downloaded files with that program. If those files could be in Kaspersky scanned PC:s, they never had been infected though they didn't have an av-program at all. So it is a prestige issue also!

The doctor will come, when the patient is ready! ;)

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

15. Firefighter

To everyone from Firefighter!

After all this back to the basics.

There are two kind of doctors, the first one is capable to keep the patient alive by giving expensive medicines all the time, the second one can cure the patient totally. :eek:

What is the main issue? The first doctor is a businessman, the second one is a benefactor who unfortunately hasn't so much room on this earth, because all those businessmen are against him! ;)

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.