Similarities & Differences

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Brenda Thomas, Jul 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Point One: I'm a newbie. Take it easy on me. But I'm learning fast.

After losing all my data, I'm now taking measures to more seriously protect my computer.

What is the difference, overlap, and/or similarities of the following:

Spybot Search and Destroy, under Tools, the 'Hosts File' which lists many bad websites.

The list in SpywareBlaster, which again seems to list many bad sites -- and updates very nicely.

The list from IE SPYAD, which also lists many (maybe the most?) bad sites.
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm

And finally, the list from Ad-Watch, which is in the Ad-Aware Plus (and higher) versions. I've seen this one work for me.

Do they all do the same thing?

Can they somehow cancel each other out?

Are they redundant?

Thank you in advance for input on this question.

Best,

BT

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  3. Oh my, there are even more...

Thanks for that info Erik.

Which leads me to ask, how many of these applications should I have? (in addition to all my other questions)

Warm Regards,

BT

4. ErikAlbert

That is a difficult question. If you ask 50 people how they protect their computer, you probably get 50 different answers.
    Alot has to do with your :
    1. personal experience/knowledge of the internet.
    2. discipline on the internet
    3. discipline on your computer
    4. degree of paranoia
    5. personal taste
    6. computer capacity.
    7. wallet

It isn't that easy and everybody has his own opinion about each security software and security setup.
    In the end it will be a PERSONAL choice, in other words YOUR choice.

Keep in mind, that whatever you do, it will never be a foolproof protection.
    That was my first disappointment in security.

There are alot of scanners for AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, AntiTrojans, AntiKeyloggers, ...
    but the problem is that none of them remove everything, so it's better to have more than one of each kind.
    How many scanners you want, is entirely up to you.
    That was my second disappointment in security.

Some scanners detect certain malwares, but don't remove it or don't remove everything.
    That was my third disappointment in security.

There are alot of rogue AntiSpyware softwares to make the confusion even bigger.
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
    That was my fourth disappointment.

Some security softwares conflict with eachother.
    That was my fifth disappointment in security.

Believe me, it's a big mess for ignorant users.
    If you don't have any clue at all, I suggest your start reading these links :
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=78484
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=45284&page=1&pp=25
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=43117
    Good luck

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  5. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Hosts file, block *all* applications on your computer from visiting sites on that list. This is the simplified explaination.

Assuming Internert explorer, it does 2 things

1) Put sites into the Internet Explorer restricted zone. You can still visit those sites with IE, except they will be restricted more as per your restricted zone settings. Typically no activex, no active scripting (javascript) etc.

2) Blacklist certain activex controls which are known to be malicious from installing or running.

This does the same as Spywareblaster function 1).

Real time monitor of your computer settings, mainly by monitoring the registry. This allows it to detect changes to homepage, startups etc, which are usually signs of malware. Also scans and tries to stop known malicious processes from starting like Antiviruses.

Lots of people use all of them.

6. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

I would go with all you posted, plus a firewall plus a antivirus. Then wait and see if anything else still slips through . If so, then consider adding more.

7. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

OR

You could go to super paranoid mode, and run a few IDS/HIPS/ systems like what we do here, add a couple of backup AVs/ATs/ASs.

Blackspear will no doubt, pop in here soon and tell you to read
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=78484
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=45284&page=1&pp=25
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=43117

But rather than wade through all that, let me help summarise for you the choices

Here's a typical Wilders member paranoid mode setup

Antivirus : Nod32 or KAV (pick one) plus backups (various).
    If you want freebies, we normally go for AVAST,Antivir,Etrust,Panda,AVG.

Antitrojan : TDS3, Boclean.Trojanhunter, Ewido Security suite (pick one) + A2 squared/Ewido backup because they are free

If freebies we use only A2 squared +ewido.

Firewall (soft): Zone alarm free/pro, Look n stop, Outpost pro,Sygate pro, Kerio, Tiny , jetico, Netveda, Chx-I (pick one or two if you pick Chx-I)

Jetico,Zone alarm free, Kerio , Netveda,Chx-I are all freebie. The rest have freebie versions too.

Antiadware : Everything you posted plus Spybot , Spyweeper, Counterspy/MSAS, Pest Patrol, Spyware doctor,spywareguard (At least 1 paid, plus all the freebies)

Antikeylogger (optional) : Spycop, Antikeylogger, Snoopfree (free), Privacykeyboard

HIPS : Processguard, Regdefend (usually with PG), PrevX , Safensec, System safety montior, Antihook (At least one, usually 2 or 3 of the above)

PG,Prevx, SSM,Antihook have freebie versions.

MISC : On top of this, we usually mess around with system hardening tools that do registry tweaks, close down services. We also might run dangerous stuff using non-admin modes/

We also generally use some kind of script control, like wormguard or scriptdefender and some kind of bayesian filter.

We also like firefox or Opera as browsers. Also we use anti spoofing devises as well. Thunderbird as mail client. Actually we use many email clients, just not Outlook or Outlook express.

We also like to use password safe programs, web proxy programs like proxomitron, annoymous proxy services like Tor, JAP, cleaners like Cclean, Cleancache, Eraser etc.

Even with all that, we still try new stuff frequently to see if it provides more protection.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2005
  8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Thanks for that James Taylor/Pollmaster (whatever many other names you go by). I don’t need to do that as you have saved me the time in doing so. Those 3 links are great for a guide, where to start a newbie heading in the right direction. Of course if you have an issue with helping beginners in securing their computers then I think you ought to find another website that doesn’t help and only ever critiques, now that would be useful, wouldn’t it :rolleyes:

Cheers

Blackspear.

9. ErikAlbert

Blackspear,
    I fully agree with you. Newbies are always lost in the beginning and they really need posts like yours.
    With your posts newbies can start simple and gradually increase their security.
    I wished I had those 3 links in my newbie time. I had to learn it the hard way until I joined a malware forum of course.
    Well done !!!

ErikAlbert

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Post by the multi-named poster/guest removed. Any further off-topic and/or bashing comments will also be removed.

Blackspear.

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

We're sorry about the mess today, Brenda. However, the three wilderssecurity links posted by ErikAlbert and then again my PollMaster are a truly excellent starting point. Let us know if they leave any particular questions with you!

12. This was an excellent question posed.

Unfortunately, it was never fully answered.

Is there anybody else with knowledge who can weigh in?

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

While I may not have the knowledge....let me ask you which questions you would like answered further....or for the first time ?

It appears to me we have questions concerning possible overlap in regards to Hosts file(Spybot)....Restricted Sites for IE's Restricted Zone(Spywareblaster and IE-Spyad)....and something to do with Adwatch :doubt:

14. Iagree

Iagree Guest

I also agree. Notok has been nothing but informative in his many posts here at Wilders, and I always find his posts most helpful, especially for those just starting out. He really breaks in down in a way that even near complete beginners can comprehend easily.

Just because some thoughtless posters find his posts to general for their so-called expert opinion, doesn't mean they aren't helpful to a lot of other people who visit here at Wilders looking for understanding.

Of course that's not to say all of Notok's posts are basic by any means, but that they are more easily understood by those who may be on a more beginners level, because he clearly explains himself so others who are trying to learn and understand can do so.

Thanks very much Notok for all your very helpful posts here at Wilders. :)

15. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Hehe, I think that post was reffering to Blackspear, but none the less, thank you very much.. I always try to make things easy to understand for everyone, so that really means a lot :)

16. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You mean he translates geek into english. Much appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.