Similar to Sygate Personal Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MakePB, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakePB

MakePB Registered Member

Some time a go i have put second OS Vista on my PC and Sygate of course does not works on Vista.
    I still use Sygate on my XP and i think that i use Sygate for last 5-6 years.
    For myself Sygate is of course best firewall in combination with strong AV.

What i would like to have is similar firewall to Sygate that works on VIsta. Without HIPS of integrated AV and this kind of extra's. I would like to know of they are similar free and pay firewalls.

Actually i have tried a couple firewall but i think that i have not seen simple pop-up that tell me this and this appz try to connect to this and this IP address (Host) on this and this port. Do you want to allow or not and only for that IP Address?
    Where appz would like to connect (thus IP Address) is import to know of it will be allowed or not from my side.
    Maybe i would like to allow some appz to connect to one IP Address but not to other IP Address.

Ah...Norton bought rights for great firewall and then simple did not anything to old Sygate customers :(

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

If you are looking for a simple firewall have a look at Online Armor's free offering.

www.tallemu.com, Vista compatible.

Not only do you get a fully functional firewall with execellent inbound/outbound protection (www.matousec.com) but the added bonus of a HIPS package too, Host Intrusion Protection System.

If you add this to your existing AV package you are pretty much secure all for zero cost!
    If its a new build/clean system you can tell the package this through the wizard at setup and it reduces the security pop-ups to almost nil.

Anything thereafter you obviously need to analyze before allowing/denying.
    Used it for ages, its light and dependable and fully supported, even in the free version.

Alternatively have a lok at PCTools free firewall (http://www.pctools.com/firewall/), it's free, light and dependable and doesn't slow down IP traffic.
    It's also able to be set to run as SPI (stateful packet inspection) has outbound protection too.
    PCTools has been bought out by Symantec recently.

:)

3. MakePB

MakePB Registered Member

Thanks for reply.

I have tried both of them and i believe that i have not seen most import thing:

pop-up that tell me this and this appz try to connect to this and this IP address (Host) on this and this port. Do you want to allow or not and only for that IP Address?
    Where appz would like to connect (thus IP Address) is import to know of it will be allowed or not from my side.
    Maybe i would like to allow some appz to connect to one IP Address but not to other IP Address.

or maybe i have that overlooked? I would like to see IP Address where appz connect . Thus firewall must show me that appz X would like to connect to IP Address xxx.xxxx.xx.x using remote port xxx.

4. subset

subset Registered Member

Overlooked, try PC Tools Firewall in Expert User Mode.
    Customizing Settings > User Settings:
    http://www.pctools.com/firewall/help/4.0/

Also with OA paid if you deactivate "Autoconfigure trusted programs" in Advanced mode.
    http://www.tallemu.com/webhelp3/FWAdv.html#popups

Cheers

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

7. MakePB

MakePB Registered Member

8. MakePB

MakePB Registered Member

Just installed Fortknox and i must say that i like it. Probably because Fortknox options and lookout remember me on old good Sygate.
    So far not any issue on Vista 32-bit with last build from Fortknox 3.0.205.0.

Thanks again!:)

9. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Theres really nothing wrong with the old Sygate Firewall and it can still be found around the web, unless you are looking for all the enhanced features the premium version had...:D

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The only real issue is the proxy issue... otherwise, it's fine.

11. guest

guest Guest

Try outpost pro

12. MakePB

MakePB Registered Member

Sygate does not works on Vista and that's problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.