Silverlight issue

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by terradon, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terradon

terradon Registered Member

Whenever I visit a webpage that wants to run Silverlight in IE9, an IE security warning popsup saying that this program (silverlight) will open outside of IE protected mode. When that happens, IE freezes, the dialog will accept no input, and I have to use Ctl/Alt/Del to close IE. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Silverlight with no change.
    What would I look for to see is ESS is causing this?

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Are you using EMET? It can cause Silverlight to crash.

3. terradon

I am not.
    I do have DEP turned on, though.
    BTW, I'm running Win7 64bit. This happens with IE9 in 32bit.

4. terradon

I've run through the MS Fix-it to uninstall a corrupted Silverlight. I then tried to install the latest version. I get an installation Failed. :doubt:

I set ESS to log HIPs blocks and tried again. The only entries are for RoboForm which works fine.

5. terradon

I finally solved the issue. Uninstalling through control panel didn't allow the new version to install properly.
    Even using the MS Fix-it which deleted a few Silverlight registry entries left a lot of junk behind. I ran TotalUnistal which found a significant amount to delete. I then ran CCleaner to uninstall again. It too, found leftovers. A reboot and running CCleaner to find Silverlight related registry entries found two large groups. I deleted those, rebooted and today successfull installed the latest Silverlight which now runs flawlessly.

ESS had nothing to do with the issue.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.