Silicon Image SATA RAID

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by chuckz, May 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckz

chuckz Registered Member

Hello
    I would like to purchase TrueImage (actually, just did), however, by searching the posts, I found some complaints that True Image has problems with the Silicon Image controller. These posts were from 2004. It was suggested that new versions will support this controller. Could anyone please confirm that the current version works with SiI SATA RAID?
    Thanks

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, chuckz

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

I am one of those [not so much to complain, but trying to find a fix] you refer to. ;)

YES. [well should :D ]

What SiliconImage controller do you have?

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. chuckz

chuckz Registered Member

Hello, TheQuest
    I am not sure about the controller - It is installed on my mobo Gigabyte k8NS-ultra-939. The mobo also has integrated nVidia SATA controller. I have two WD 80 GB drives striped in RAID 0 on SiI. So far, has not tried to create an image (just downloaded the TI :cool:. I am also looking at Disk Director, since I formatted the SATA RAID as a single c: drive (regret now, but too much hussle to reinstall). I tried the demo of Disk Director - it found my 2 drives and showed as a single volume, but who knows what damage can the real program do to my setup? So, I searched the forum, found these posts about SiI controller, and sent a message to support (still waiting for reply). Those posts are 1 year old - they must have a fix by now?

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, chuckz

Just had a quick look over at Giga and it say it is a Athlon 64 FX processor MotherBoard, so I should hang on and wait as you say till you hear from Support.

They were and for nForce2 MotherBoards [32 bit].

Now there are NForce4 MotherBoards. :eek:

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello chuckz,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Have you got any problems with Acronis True Image? There shouldn't be any because Acronis software should work properly with your controller. However, if there are any issues please let us know. We will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. chuckz

chuckz Registered Member

Hello, Ilya
    I haven't tried the True Image yet. Hopefully, there will be no problems.
    Actually, I already purchased the program, so will have to live with it. :D

However, I am looking to buy Disk Director, and it can't be tried 100% in the demo version. I saw last year's posts about issues with SiI SATA RAIDs, and the last post was from Acronis Support which said that this is a driver problem which would be fixed in the future versions.

Could you please check whether Silicon Image SATA incompatibility has been indeed fixed.?
    Thanks very much

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello chuckz,

You should not have any problems with Acronis software (both Acronis True Image and Acronis Disk Director Suite). The latest build of Acronis program supports your controller. If you get any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

8. chuckz

chuckz Registered Member

Hello, TheQuest
    Ya, they have nVidia Gforce4, but it was still being tested with my processor (Winchester 90 nm), which I don't want to be a part of (too much beta testing already forced on us by Microsoft). Even to get your system backed up and protected from quirks of their monster of Windows takes weeks of trial and error (that's why I am here).
    I am just dreaming that after my system is up and running I'll be able to get back to the purpose why it was built: music and video... :cool:
    Take care

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

10. chuckz

chuckz Registered Member

I am glad I hooked my SATA drives to SiI connectors on that board. It worked fine (partition resizing). Created image but had not tried to restore yet (I am not that paranoid, will do restore if there is trouble...).
    This forum is very helpful
    Thanks everybody.
    Acronis team - keep up good work. :D

11. gwilki

gwilki Registered Member

chuckz

Have you verified the images are not corrupt?

I ask because I have the same sata controller from Silicon Image, but mine is on an Asus A7N8X board. With this board, imaging from one drive to the other will ALWAYS produce a corrupt image. This has been found by others on this list, too.

The problem is not TI. You will find that if you check the checksum of any large file that is moved from one drive to another, it will always be wrong.

I can't speak for your motherboard, but you may want to verify this before you need the images to restore, and find that you cannot.

Grant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.