Silicon Image 3112 Raid 0

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by leftygof, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftygof

leftygof Registered Member

This may be old news, but I can finally see the partitions

Tech Support Finally sent me an Iso Image that recognizes the Hard drives correctly.

Here is the email I recieved with the link:

Hello Michael,

We are really sorry for your inconvenience.

Please use this iso image to create bootable CD...

~link removed~ Please contact Acronis Support for the download link. Sharing these links publicly is not permitted.

If you have more questions, then please feel free to contact us again.
    Thank you for the cooperation.
    --
    Sincerely yours,
    Anton Sherkhonov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213
    South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com

Acronis Support Department
    e-mail: support@acronis.com

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2004
  2. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

What build is this? I've not been sent a recent build with my support ticket :(

Fedorov.

3. leftygof

I didn't check. I will try to make it home at lunch and boot to the CD to see.

They had sent me 1 previous ISO (that did not work).

This is the only one that I have used that actually reads the Raid 0 partitions correctly from the boot disc.

Now the bad news.......Having balls enough to actually do a restore :D

4. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

This is build 770.

5. leftygof

I show 770..... is there a problem I missed?

6. Scopacetic

Scopacetic Registered Member

So, is that ISO of Leftygof's actually able to see the SiI Raid 0 setup? I tried the download link (~~ linked removed~~) and the only thing contained in the ISO is a license agreement! Could anyone email a working ISO for a boot CD? I'm tired of TrueImage not recognizing my RAID.

DAW

Please contact Acronis Support for the download link. Sharing these links publicly is not permitted.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2004
  7. Scopacetic

Never mind the last comment. Even though the only apparent content of the ISO was a license agreement, there were obviously hidden files... I tried booting from the disk and it worked! Able to see all partitions on my SiI 3112 RAID 0 disks. I was actually trialing TrueImage and now will buy it.

8. Fedorov999

Let me get this right... so this ISO is build 770, yet the officially released 771 doesn't see my Raid 0 :(

Sounds similar to the v7.0 build 619 which is the only working version I ever saw, all officials after that never worked.

Can someone confirm this 770 build working on a Si3112a (note the "a") controller please?

Anton, if build 770 does work then why again have I not been notified via my support incident that I've had running for all these months?

Many thanks

Fedorov.

9. Scopacetic

The ISO release says 770. It works with my SiI 3112a (yes it is an a). FYI my motherboard is ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe.

Who cares what build it is, as long as you have it and it works. Of course, Acronis should care and make it part of the release build. I do think it is irresponsible to make no mention of SATA or RAID issues in the information about system requirements section of their documentation. And how can reviewers like PC Magazine ignore issues like that? Most people who would even buy a product like this are technophiles, and RAID - 0 is showing up everywhere.

One thing they should do is make an option to load a 3rd party RAID or SCSI driver on booting from the CD (like the Windows XP CD does). BTW, what OS does the CD boot to? No reason it has to be Microsoft.

10. Fedorov999

Same board as myself :)

Need this build! Can someone please PM me the link again - thanks. I'm still totally mystified as to why the "official" 771 then loses the Si3112a support :(

Fedorov.

11. Fedorov999

Bump! Can someone please PM me the download link for the special build 770 that *works* for Si3112a :)

Thanks, Fedorov.

12. Scopacetic

So I understand that the boot CD uses Linux. It seems to me that this is the engineering problem. If the boot CD used a Windows pre-boot environment, it could just copy the SATA RAID (or SCSI, etc) driver from the OS automatically at the time of its creation. That would probably eliminate the continued issue of new hardware being incompatible with TrueImage. Using Windows, any hardware supported by Windows would automatically be compatible with TrueImage without waiting for another long delay for an updated program release. And if that new release has a new version number, you have to pay again, just to have a functional program!

13. Yemble

Yemble Registered Member

Bang on! This is EXACTLY the problem ... LINUX! :mad:

Really, what is the point of a backup system that cannot restore? ... NONE! Sure, there may be some royalties to pay to M$, but at least the product might have a better chance of working.

14. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Scopacetic

The reason is because SilicomImage have [or had] not made the 3112 open source.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

15. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Yemble

What royalties, what has it to do with M$.

The BootDisk works outside the OS[M$] at Boot and the drivers are loaded to memory, hence BootDisk.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

16. Scopacetic

My point is that if the boot disk used Windows, it could be created with network support and other relevant driver support by just copying what is already being used by Windows. That should save time and effort of the developers, guarantee continued compatability of TI as new hardware comes out (even for older versions that aren't being supported any longer) and drasticly cut back the amount of tech support requests. In the end, it would save money for Acronis from the development/support standpoint, and would make money by engendering loyalty to the product and company.

17. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hmm...if only it were that simple.

It's quite an achievement by Acronis that TI is able, under most circumstances, to create a full image of an active Windows partition without first having to drop out of the Windows environment. However, it's expecting a miracle if you think it possible to restore an active Windows partition from within Windows. Even if it were possible, what would happen if your HD crashed and took your Windows O/S with it o_O

Regards

18. zac

zac Guest

windows PE environment, not windows itself
    the way drive image 7 and ghost 8 are functioning
    the way ghost 8 is embedded into bart PE ( www.nu2.nu )

19. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

My post assumed Scopacetic also wished to retain the full functionality of True Image 8. I've yet to be convinced that your suggestions meet all of his requirements.

20. EagleClaw

EagleClaw Registered Member

I am having the same issue with my new system. backup goes fine but locks up when trying to use the boot cd.

I have used TI with great success in the past and would very much like keep using it.

would someone be so kind as to PM me the link.

tech support seems not to want to help, why they help one person and not others I don't know.

thanks

21. Scopacetic

I'm not talking about restoring the computer's system partition while it is actually running. I'm just talking about the OS used by the boot CD, ie a Windows pre-boot environment. It shouldn't matter if the boot CD's OS is Windows, Linux, BeOs or whatever if the proper drivers and settings are on the disk. It's just that if you use Windows, the boot CD creation process could theoretically be written to take advantage of the drivers you already have on your system and copy them to the boot CD. You can't do that if the boot CD uses an OS different than the OS that created it. Windows drivers won't work with a Linux boot disk. Conversely, if you were using Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Linux, you would want the boot disk to be using Linux. Now all this assumes that the boot disk creation process is 'smart' and copies the appropriate system drivers and settings from its host. Without that (and from what I hear, Ghost 9 doesn't even have a boot disk creation engine), it is completely irrelevant which OS it uses.

BTW, if you initiate a restore process of the system partition during a Windows session, I understand the system has to reboot to do the restore. Does anyone know if it reboots to a Windows or Linux environment? I have a custom CD that recognizes my 3112a RAID 0 configuration so I can restore an image that way, but I dare not find out if the restore image on reboot process would work. I suspect that if TI can't produce a workable boot CD, that the restore on reboot won't work either. I certainly won't be the first to try.

22. leftygof

Sorry guys.........been out of pocket for a while.

Why did they remove my link if the ISO works?

Is it working in the new build?

23. Fedorov999

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.