silently block in Download Protection Configuration not working

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Emily, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emily

Emily Registered Member

The silently block in Download Protection Configuration under Options is not working. It always alert me and prompt me for action.

I get this very annoying browser hijacker from www . freewebs.com/hotmm even when i am not connected to internet.

I have used Ad-Aware SE Personal to clean but the problem still persist.

I Need Help Badly!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2005
  2. Emily

Emily Registered Member

Re: SpywareGuard 2.2 released!

I have also installed SpywareBlaster but also of no help.

I am using Win98SE and Internet Explorer 6.

Thanks alot in advance

Attached Files:

3. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Dear Emily, I think Download protection is working. It sounds like you have spyware on your PC already. So Spywareguard and Spyware blaster may not help as its already downloaded.
    It looks like you have a browser hijacker which you are constantly being alerted to by Spyware guard as the hijacker tries to change your browser home page. Have you tried Spybot S+D /Ewido/A squared/ ?? as well as Ad Aware??
    Gordon

4. snowboard

snowboard Registered Member

Its either she manually changed her home page to that. Cause www.freewebs.com isnt a spyware site.

Any yes her protection is working correctly. If you dont want your homepage to be www . freewebs.com/hotmm then click "restore old value" if you do want to keep it click " keep new value" .

Regards,

snowboard

5. Emily

Emily Registered Member

My original homepage is www.yahoo.com.sg. www . freewebs.com/hotmm is a pron web that i didn't visit or choose and it just pop up.

The protection should silently block (which i have save the settings in) and not always alert and prompt (which is very annoying).

Anyway i found that there is a virus which causes all this problem is in windows. My virus scan manage to pick up but it can't be clean. Then i go and delete, it can't be found.

The virus is VBS_STARTPAGE.A and the infected file is C:\WINDOWS\gshp.vsb

Now what should i do since it can't be found :doubt:

I have found another strange file in C:\WINDOWS\gsc1.txt

Attached Files:

• gsc1.txt
      File size:
      194 bytes
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As noted in your pic....that is a Browser Hijacking Protection alert.

The Download Protection feature is the only one of the features where alerts can be configured.

7. Emily

Emily Registered Member

When i choose silently block settings, shouldn't it be auto blocking in the background without prompting. I get prompt 2 times whenever 1 new page open.

Can there be a feature where the homepage would be fixed. There will be auto blocking with no prompting?

Should i delete the file C:\WINDOWS\gsc1.txt?

It is related to the infected file C:\WINDOWS\gshp.vsb that contain the virus VBS_STARTPAGE.A

8. Emily

Emily Registered Member

The web site www . freewebs.com/hotmm has been frozen. But the bug or problem that is altering my homepage is still there. Even when i am not connected to the internet, the problem is still there. Even when i open My Computer, the problem arises again.

Now what should i do? o_O I have scan for virus and spywares with no success.

9. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Dear Emily, As stated before Spyware guard is doing its job. You seem to be confused between the download blocker and the Home page hijacking alert. The reason why you are constantly getting prompts is because of the virus VBS.starpage.A which is a script virus that changes Internet explorer settings and your homepage, thus your hijack alerts from Spyware guard.
    You dont say what you have scanned witho_O I think Avast anti virus free should take care of this. As it detects quite a few VBS script viruses.
    Gordon

10. Emily

Emily Registered Member

Looks like i may have to format my harddisk. I just delete one entry from Hijackthis. log and it was successful that the www . freewebs.com.hotmm is remove. But there is still other activeX or other script or anything like that to cause the reoccurrance of this protection alert even when i am not connected to internet. :(

I am using Trend Micro internet security 2005, Ad-Adware Personal, Spware guide. Spyware Blaster and Spybot.

Now i can't scan my harddisk as it keeps restarting, even after i use alt ctrl del to close most of the programs running in the background. Nor can i defrag my harddisk. :doubt:

I can't even go to safe mode. It is hang there after started in safe mode main page.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.