Silent Cleaner Problem

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by ZR, Oct 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZR

ZR Registered Member

Hello,

I have placed the silent clean shortcut in the startup folder. All is well with that and it quickly cleans at startup just like it is supposed to but when it is finished, MRU Blaster does not terminate, it stays running (per ctrl-alt-del) and prevents a shutdown or reboot unless I manually kill it. The only other running items are systray and explorer.

I have used MRU Blaster on many other machines and os'es but have never had this problem before.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

ZR

IBM 300PL
    Win98SE error-checked & defragged
    PIII-500
    128mb pc100
    8gb hdd w/7gb free
    no infestations of any kind.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey ZR,

My memory may be failing me for Win98....but when looking at the properties of the shortcut you placed in the startup folder....is there a selection of close on exit....or something similar ?

Attached Files:

3. ZR

ZR Registered Member

Hi Bubba,

I'll have to check it tomorrow- I've already shut it down and put it in the car.

Thanks for the tip... I will let you know what I find.

ZR

4. ZR

ZR Registered Member

Good morning Bubba,

I did not see a checkbox like the one in your pic.

Here is what my shortcut properties look like...

1st tab pic shown, 2nd tab pic on next post

Thanks,

ZR

Attached Files:

• ZR1.jpg
      ZR1.jpg
      File size:
      14.1 KB
      Views:
  5. ZR

ZR Registered Member

Here is the other properties tab

Attached Files:

• ZR2.jpg
      ZR2.jpg
      File size:
      14.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

ZR,

Does....mrublaster.exe -silent....only appear to get stuck after starting your PC ? Meaning....after your PC has started, let MRUblaster silently do it's thing for a bit and then end the process if it's still running. After that....click on the mrublaster.exe -silent Startup menu shortcut and see if it still hangs.

If it does....perhaps you can try this:
    With MRUblaster GUI up.....go to Settings and uncheck ALL items....select Save Settings....close down MRUblaster GUI....reboot your machine and see if the -silent process is still running after a bit. What this proves I'm not sure....other than it might prove the program is or is not getting hung up on one of the items to be cleared ?

Just a thought.

7. ZR

ZR Registered Member

Hello,

I have not been able to do much testing lately due to the machine being in use most of the time.

What I have tried so far is...

Manually running MRU-Blaster works perfectly- It cleans and goes away just like it is supposed to.

Running the silent clean manually also works perfectly same as above.

The problem only occurs when launched at boot time fron the startup folder.

Also, The process name is the same regardless of how it was launched. (MRU-Blaster.exe) The -silent mode hides the gui while the program automatically scans and deletes the items.

Most recently, the hung process is shown as "not responding" after a short wait time after a boot/reboot. I don't remember it doing that earlier on but I may not have waited long enough for it to time out.

I have not been able to selectively uncheck items to see if a particular item causes the hang. I will try to do that soon and report back.

Thanks for all your help & suggestions.

ZR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.