Silent Circle moving away form nist ciphers like AES after NSA revelations

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by tuatara, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Some of us have been making that recommendation for a long time.

3. tuatara

Yes i was one of them, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/polymorphic-cipher.321583/ but we were before our time. In those days it was already obvious that the forces to get everybody on AES ONLY were extremely strong. Even in this forum. Not one recommendation or product was adviced with a encryption cipher developed in this millenium. :)

4. tuatara

It was and still is very clear that it is almost impossible to get a product with a new cipher on the market, products were considered bad before analysed. The Polymorph encryption had the same problems in those days. But the same with many others.
    Even cascade encryption was dangerous.
    Many developers complained about this. But ... "The NSA could not break AES, nor get their passwords".
    So they were only working on Cryptic crosswords there i assume :)
    In the meantime it became clear fast, that every security weakness you make , or keep intact, for your own benefit,
    can and will be exploited by others against you. Many important documents and data is stolen is fallen in the hands of the wrong parties or countries because of weak security/weak encryption in hard and software.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  5. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Can users do a quick back of the napkin top5 of what to use or not then?
    and they need to be available in truecrypt and other popular software.

1) blowfish
    5) AES

Sadly that is all i know apart from avoiding AES ever since the US government wanted us to use the clipper chip and its weak encryption years ago I got a little paranoid.

6. blainefry

blainefry Registered Member

7. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Definitely. Was just looking at a few threads from 2012 where both of us tried to make that point. Every time the subject comes up, "experts" come out of the woodwork recommending AES, some of which post about nothing else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.