Signs of hacking or internet communication interception

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by jsebolt, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsebolt

jsebolt Registered Member

I did a couple of google searches a few days ago. Some of the links in the results were highlighted in purple, as though I clicked them. I had NOT clicked them. Also they should not be highlighted from previous searches because my browser is set to delete all history whenever I exit. Is this a sign of some security problem? What could it be? Any information offered would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

jsebolt, first, welcome to Wilders!

Perhaps a little more information from you, like Operating System (including Service Pack), what Browser, whose Anti-Virus and Firewall programs are you using, or any other recently installed program(s), might help a Wilders member answer your question.

Highlighted links during searches could mean some sort of Link Scanner, being part of your AV program and nothing malicious, however, without more info, no one can tell for sure.

3. jsebolt

jsebolt Registered Member

Hi JRViejo, thanks for your response.

My computer specs are: Windows Vista 32 bit, Home Premium Edition, service pack 2; IE 8; Norton Internet Security. I am also behind a hardware firewall & have a cable internet connection. My browser settings are set to high security, except that I have enabled scripts and the flash module. All downloads, active X, etc. I have disabled. My privacy settings are medium high, with the browser set to automatically delete all history upon exit.

I would just like to know what could possibly explain what happened. Could someone else be in between me and the sites I visit, so that their clicked links display in my browser? Or is that not possible? Or could someone at my ISP be responsible for this? Any suggestions,theories, or advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

jsebolt, your PC seems to be well fortified, so it's hard to determine what happened. If someone was manipulating your PC, you would see weirder things than just highlighted links. If your IE8 browser was provided by your ISP, the highlighted links perhaps could be suggestions, based on prior searches, but again, hard to tell.

I don't use Norton, but do you know if Norton provides some type of Web Site Authentication? I assume that you have run Norton, and it gives your PC a clean bill of health?

I would recommend running two programs: Microsoft MSRT and MBAM Free Version, more for peace of mind than anything else. Let us know if they find anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.