Significant portion of HTTPS Web connections made by forged certificates

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ronjor, May 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I'm impressed, Facebook :thumb:

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Its a battle out here isn't it?

4. mirimir

Indeed it is, and there are many players.

This is a key quote from the article:
    In other words, for the most part it's security products that are breaking HTTPS security, in order to protect users. And network admins are breaking HTTPS in order to prevent employees from wasting time on Facebook ;)

And then we have this:
    I am continually amazed by the importance of ads in all this. Given that I never see ads, it's easy to forget how heavily they have dominated Web economics.

5. Splosh

Splosh Guest

I'd be more worried about government manufactured certificates with gag ordered CA signatures, the invisible adversary than blatant SSL MITM that rings every bell from Paris to Rome.

6. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I am involved with several very private sites and like Wilder's they issue PRIVATE cert's where we don't have to rely on all the CA ~ Snipped as per TOS ~. I just don't have trust for the "cert authorities" because its tooooooooooo easy to get a bad actor in the mix. The site owner/Admin posts the cert ID at the top of the website with all pertinent fingerprints and then members can set their "watchdog software" to verify the FULL fingerprint before opening the site without fail. That is how I strongly prefer to conduct business and I wish that was how all sites went about it. I know its not going to happen. I am just glad that those I value and feel secure in do proceed that way. My two cents.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
  7. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

1 in 500 secure connections use forged certificate

Researchers from Facebook and Carnegie Mellon University have published a paper (PDF) in
    which they show that out of a sample of over 3 million secure connections to Facebook, 0.2%
    used a forged SSL certificate.

The number may seem small, but it is not insignificant, especially given the sheer volume
    of HTTPS connections made over the Internet every day.

http://www.virusbtn.com/blog/2014/05_13.xml?rss

8. mirimir

Yes, but the "vast majority" of that 0.2% were not exploits. They involved "unauthorized" SSL certificates used by anti-malware apps and network firewalls for scanning HTTPS connections.

Even so, it is disturbing. It further demonstrates just how broken HTTPS has become. As Palancar noted, self-signed certificates are the way to go for security. But that's not workable for most Web users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.