Signatures causes total freeze of Vista, everytime!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by JeanJean, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeanJean

JeanJean Registered Member

Hi there,
    I've just bought 3 licences for 3 years of NOD32. I installed one on my laptop 2 months ago.
    Since a week now, every single time there is a signature update, I see the notification balloon and a few seconds later my laptop freezes completely. I can move the mouse on screen but nothing else responds and I have to shutdown the PC and start again.
    It even sometimes happens before I log into Vista (I guess it updates in the background), how frustrating !!!!

Sadly the only way out was to change my license login name to [REALLICENSEID]+crapcrapcrap so that it wont be able to download new updates.
    Now it works, computer dont crash and I have no new signatures updates.
    (by the way is there a way to disable automatic signatures updates other than doing like this?)

Please let me know how I can debug this very annoying issue.

Thanks a lot

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, please download a fresh copy of ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0.657 from www.eset.com and SAVE the installer, then uninstall and reinstall using “TYPICAL” settings.

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The problem was fixed with the automatic engine update 3121. After the update and the subsequent computer restart, it should not occur any more.

Should the problem persist, delete the content of the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Charon" folder in safe mode.

4. JeanJean

JeanJean Registered Member

Thank you for the quick and effective reply
    I have uninstalled and installed version 3.0.657. Done an update and no freeze.
    Works like a charm now, thanks again for your help

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You are welcome.

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.