Signature Count in 4.0.0.151 plus

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware beta forum' started by Nick Y, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick Y

Nick Y Registered Member

Curious: My copy of 4.0.0.151 plus has now exceeded 350,000 signatures. Does this mean what the box says when it indicates that I am now protected against 350,000 potential threats, or is it there multiple counting going on? (I.e., in the exreme, I am protected against one threat 350,000 times...)

TIA

ps: I did look around to see if this had been asked/ answered already, but did not spot anything. Apologies, though, if this does repeat a previous posting.

2. btman

btman Registered Member

I dont think you can be protected against one threat 350,000 times or even 1000 times so im about 99% sure it detects over 350,000 threats.

3. Nick Y

Nick Y Registered Member

You could, theoretically, with repeated entries in a signature database.
    350,000 plus threats (and growing by several k almost every day) seems a lot to me, hence the question.

4. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

Right now, Ewido 3.5 shows 350,734 "known threats in database." Spysweeper shows 148,048 "threat traces." Ad Aware shows 61,794 "signtures total." A-Squared shows 410,389 "signatures loaded." These figures are all relative to the way the providers classify and count definitions, but Ewido's don't seem out of line at all to me.

5. btman

btman Registered Member

Well Ewido and A Squared are Anti-Malwares and focus more on... all malware. I don't see adaware picking up a trojan on my pc.

6. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

I did not mean to imply any equivalency between Ewido and Ad Aware. However, in some trojan clean up procedures, it is recommended to run Ad Aware following an Ewido scan in order to help clean traces of bundled adware. It still has a role to play, although I must admit, I keep Ad Aware around more from habit rather than from need.

7. btman

btman Registered Member

I'm just saying, that's a reason for the high signature count difference. One focuses on a wide variety of things, while another focuses on one or two aspects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.