Sig files for testing AV. ???

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Raptess, Nov 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raptess

Raptess Guest

Hey guys, Ive been reading all the posts about which AV is the best and worst. Why people like one or the other etc etc ..

I dont realy care about which AV is the easiest / fastest to use, I want to know which is the BEST !!

Ive tried 'god only knows' how many AV programs that are available, and they all miss something that another gets.

Back in the merry old days of my Amiga, I had a CD (yes I had a CD drive for an Amiga. hehe) that contained over 20k virus infected files that I used to test AV programs, and due to this CD, I found 'ONE' AV program that got them ALL !!

What I want to know is ...

Can I actualy get a CD / DVD / Download, that contains ALL known virus sigs, so that I can test AV programs myself ?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I really don't know where you could get something like that. And if there were any live virus sigs I couldn't give you a url or link to it as it would be against the tos of the forum.

bigc

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

According to my experience, that CD you have got contained only infected files from ONE av-vendor's database (like Tauscan), not RANDOMLY picked samples. Even with RANDOMLY picked infected files collection about 1 k of samples, you can't expect that some av catches everything.

So, if you really pick ramdomly a wide spread of infected file categories, about 2 - 4 k of samples is enough to declare which detects most. Not the Quantity but Variety!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The best for overall malware detection would be a KAV-engined based AV.

BUT the best AV for you is the one that suits both you and your system the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.