Shutting Down My Computer??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sooflymami, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

Recently, everytime when I turn off my computer, it's taking a slower time and the waiting cursor always appears right when I click on the turn off button. And when I goto start button, it lets me click and shows me programs when I goto start but after I click on turn off button, it DID NOT used to even let me click on anything and the waiting cursor didnt appear either. Do u think this is normal and I shouldnt really worry about it?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Other than a possible malware problem, I would suggest that the shutdown sequence may have a problem. When the system shuts off, it has to close all programs and save any necessary updates. I would suggest first logging off and then shut down in two steps. On a new laptop, when I attempted to shut down in one step, it seemed to go into an infinite loop and still was shutting down after 15 minutes! I just pulled the battery out to stop it.:mad:

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Try pressing following keys...

Windows key>u>u

4. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

Do you think maybe this is happening to my laptop because few days ago,after I clicked the turn off button, since it wasn't doing anything, I just pressed the power button to shut off the computer or that is not related? And it DOES shut off all the programs but it's just taking a slower time. Like when I click on the start button right after I click "turn off" button, it still shows me the list of the programs and let me goto turn off computer few times even though I already clicked on that button already. Do u think it should be ok?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

6. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Just wondering: why do you think changing / opening accessibility options will speed up the shut down of the computer?

The UPHclean could help, I've experienced this myself.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I also installed UPHclean, because I had a yellow warning in my event viewer, but it doesn't work everytime. I still get that warning sometimes, but not so often anymore as in the past.
    Besides that my event viewer has nothing but blue info icons and that is a good sign.
    I checked all my event logs a minut ago and no warning or red crosses. :)

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Pressing the OFF switch versus the shutdown click is not the same. By shutting off the electricity, you stop the normal shutdown and save process that occurs when it is turned off by the laptop routine. I have experienced a delayed shutdown on a laptop and then I kept clicking on SHUT DOWN even though the hourglass seemed to be hanging. Doing that should not be a problem. Sometimes the closing off process takes a while. I also noticed that on the new laptop when I had to pull out the battery to completely turn off the system and then turned it back on, the reboot time was the same as before. On my Windows 98 systems, you would get an auto start of SCANDISK because you shut off the system prematurely. That didn't happen for the XP machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.