Shutdown; reason/s for... ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Any general reasons, overall, that may cause unplanned shutdown of PC?

Got PC back from shop recently, with new NEC 350w PSU and another 80GB HD (to replace one that had died from old age).

I started a mirror backup of C to new drive, w/Backup4all v3, went to bed and got up about 4 hrs. later to find the box had shut off for some reason. I have an APC brand UPS backup, and so I don't think the PC would just shut off, like it did.

So, other problems lurking here, maybe? (Using XP PRO SP2). After last update of drivers, etc. a while back only trouble I still have is periodic bugcheck/reboot, due (it seems) to crappy nVidia drivers; I won't have that garbage again, on the next PC - just my opinion).

Ideas/help, appreciated, like always. Thanks,

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Doubt its a software problem,unless its been scheduled to shutdown.
    Was the backup succesful?
    The PSU could be the suspect if this has never happened before.
    Have you had any BIOS problems,or CPU overheating?
    May just be a random thing,try again and see what happens.

3. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Hairy Coo;

a) Have all hibernation-sleep modes off, as one of those I think made for trouble with the app, for APC UPS unit some time ago, really spiking system RAM usage.

b) First backup attempt didn't get far, before shutdown; but I have since then backed up most everything, to several HDs.

c) I hope there is no problem, with the new PSU!

d) While the BIOS on the PC is old, I haven't tried to update that; perhaps I'm overwrought about that, but if things go wrong you end up with a putty colored boat anchor (rather than a functional PC).

e) No overheating of HDs, or CPU, that I'm aware of. Have at least two fans, in the PC, for good measure. (I do run HD Tune app now & then, to check the temp. of HDs).

That's about the most I can add on the topic, for now. Other ideas, thoughts, are welcome as always.

Thanks,

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Maybe it needs a slightly more powerful PSU?

Anyways I would get a good brand such as Antec, Corsair, or SeaSonic.

5. Hairy Coo

Was thinking along the same lines,would be inclined to exchange it ,but only if possible-say around 450,if this still can be done under warranty or similar.
    Otherwise,the problem may never happen again,lets hope.
    The BIOS tends to turn off the computer in an overload situation.If you feel up to it,would recommend a BIOS update in any case,after a backup.

6. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

WSFuser, & Hairy Coo;

Darn, I thought going from old orig. 235w PSU to new NEC 300w, would be "a good thing" or decent enough. But, for the moment (as the shutdown happened only once), I'll rashly hope for the best. If it happens, again, tho'...

As I have backed up pretty much everything, to 2-3 drives since getting PC back from repair shop, maybe it is time to breathe deeply & try a BIOS update. (Just bit leary about it, as I guess if things can go wrong, I may wind up with a "left on the road for dead" PC). Scary thought, that.

Thanks,

7. Hairy Coo

Pat,
    If previously a lesser power PSU ran ok,then as you say the new one should have enough,unless its faulty.
    If you are worried about a BIOS update,then forget it.
    Just let it all run,it may work perfectly for ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.