***SHOW OF HANDS *** XP Users and Application popups.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by DarrenDavisLeeSome, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

This thread was started mainly for XP users.

I have also installed ESS 4.0 on system running Vista x32 (Home Premium) with no popups at all.

However, XP and Vista, despite their similarities, are 2 totally different Operating Systems.

2. jnbeaumont

jnbeaumont Registered Member

Understand they are different, but maybe you have a program running in you systray which is not shutting down cleanly when you exit and is trying to generate an error report.

Regards,

3. lurkingatu2

lurkingatu2 Registered Member

hello

i get the same popup on shutdown of my pc and the same message in my event viewer since i installed
    ESS v4 that i won as a gift from The Calender of Updates and has only been installed for a few days

at first i could not get web pages to load sometimes in Ie8 FF3 or Opera then i seen that ESS 4.0.417
    was out so i installed over the top of the last version and web pages load better now

but still get that popup sometimes

:)

4. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Nope. Never had any problems like that at all. I keep my OS in tip top shape. I'm almost a fanatic about keeping it that way.

I am convinced beyond any shadow of a doubt that the Application popups are caused by ESS 4.0. More specifically due to something with manually running the updates either through the Desktop UI or the Tooltray Icon.

Never had any occurences of the Application popups with ESS v3.0.672 or 3.0.684.

5. Jager

Jager Registered Member

Me too. I've loaded ESS on straight after My Windows SP3 installation before any other drivers and applications and I got a popup(I assume it was the same one, the darn thing flashes so fast sometimes) as soon as Windows logged off to restart the computer after installing ESS. I don't think the cause is manual updating itself though. My firewall is on "Interactive mode", and I've had two sessions with the popups occurring on Windows logging off where I haven't manually updated but I've used ESS's interface to add/remove firewall rules, and also added firewall rules/allowing communication through ESS's popups when something tried to communicate through the internet.

Do you think you could start a new session of windows, try adding/removing firewall rules for applications and then resarting/shutting down your computer to see if the same happens to you? I'm wondering if it happens if you make any changes to ESET's settings or files, or from just using the interface. I'm going to start a new session then launch the interface, do nothing in it, then close it and restart to test this.

Edit: Nope its not launching the interface that didn't bring the popup up on Windows logging off to restart. Maybe both manual updates and changing firewall settings are setting off the same thing? Unless the defualt update schedule also causes the same problem.. Does anyone know if people on NOD32(ESS without the firewall) are having this problem?

I'm considering switching to just NOD32 beacuse of connectivity problems with my wireless adapter. Even though with v4.0.417.0 released it supposed to have "Fixed issue with network disconnections with NICs and residential gateway routers" I'll uninstall ESS to test if its the cause. Is NOD32 missing anything else ESS has besides the firewall and antispam for e-mail clients(which I've decied not to use)? Because I've heard that a third party firewall isn't necessary, as unless there's something bad already on your computer to listen to something on the outside nothing can harmful can come in. Anyone disagree with that?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  6. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Thanks Darren and thanks nickster_uk

Anyone from ESET reading this?

Ruben

7. DarrenDavisLeeSome

I've been snooping around the NOD32 Forum too. It appears that the NOD32 4.0 is also getting the same Application popups as well. When it comes down to it, the only difference between ESS and NOD32 is Anti-Spam and Firewall. All the modules are the same.

All that I have been experiencing lately on my system is whenever I use the Desktop UI or the Toolbar Icon (Eyeball) to check for updates, I get the popup when I reboot, that is per Windows session. On the other hand, if I let the ESS Scheduler do it's own thing with Regular automatic updates (System Updates too) but do not use the Desktop UI or Eyeball to check for updates then there is no popup when I reboot.

In a nutshell, it's the EGUI. There's something amiss with the executeable and the manual checking of updates.

8. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Maybe if this turns into a Hot Thread then ESET might look into it with a little bit more dilligence.

I was pretty upset when I read their latest response: telling me it's an isolated incident. I was still pretty upset when I replied back to that email. I told whoever wrote it that they were out of their minds.

Last night I wrote back appologizing for that "out of your mind" remark and included the new discoveries that I made.

9. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

good and thanks

Ruben

10. DarrenDavisLeeSome

I still have ESS Scheduler setup to run the Regular updates (along with the System Updates) check every 15 minutes. Have had 2 successful Virus signature updates so far this morning.

I have not used the EGUI (Desktop or Toolbar Icon) at all to check for updates. I've rebooted/shutdown at least 3 times already this morning. No popups.

Gotta be something within the ESS 4.0/EGUI executeable and the manual checking for updates causing them popups.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  11. DarrenDavisLeeSome

WHOA....

I ran a Custom Scan on my USB Flash Drive, rebooted...GOT THE POPUP!

Ran a Smart Scan, rebooted....GOT THE POPUP!

There is something very wrong with the EGUI executeable. Not just with manually checking for updates.

12. Jager

Jager Registered Member

Thats what I've been trying to say. =)

13. DarrenDavisLeeSome

I didn't realize that before Jag...sorry.

I wonder what OS ESET is using when they're investigating this issue with the popups. In that last email they sent me they said they didn't see the popup at all on their end. Unless they're just giving me the run-around.

14. Jager

Jager Registered Member

If its Windows XP 32 bit edition I suggest they do a clean install of Windows XP SP3 off a disc, update windows and then install ESS. And try installing ESS without updating Windows - just having SP3 off the disc with it on install. I got the same results - that popup.

It seems that my wireless connectivity problems wasn't ESS though, because I had the same problems after uninstalling it. I think the wireless monitor by Linksys is not working properly, and I'll be using the XP Wireless Configuration utility from now on. I guess taht was quite likely since I found out that they haven't updated their drivers for it since 2005...

15. DarrenDavisLeeSome

I know this may sound crazy, but, I have updated a few of my device drivers using Windows Updates via the Device Manager: my video card, NIC, LCD Monitors and HID. Even more crazy is that I discovered that these Windows Updates were superior to the manufacturer's drivers. Go figure.

You might want to try using Windows Updates via the Device Manager to see if Microsoft/Window Updates has any available updated drivers for your Wireless Monitor (Router??).

16. Jager

Jager Registered Member

It's the program by Linksys that came with my wireless PCI card for scanning for/connecting to wireless networks. It had connectivity problems in certain situations at least. Installing with Microsoft Update installed the driver only, so that I don't have the program running needlessly on startup since I'm using the built in wireless network configuration that comes with Windows XP now.

I've reinstalled Windows having wanted a clean start and also screwing the old installation in minor ways I think from using a system restore. Haven't installed ESS back on yet I'm holding off till the probelms with the popup and dllhost.exe being left running are fixed along with their underlying causes.
    So I won't be doing anymore testing on this component version.

I also installed my Xbox 360 controller by searching Windows Update in the new hardware found wizard so I don't get the program which comes with the Xbox 360 accessories software(it runs in the background from startup and checks for updates sometimes) which was on my previous Windows installation.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  17. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Last night I had to work on my friend's laptop with Vista Home Premium. I installed ESS 4.0.417.0 on it a week ago. It ran perfectly for the 3 hours that I had used it installing ESS and just playing around with it.

My friend gave the system back to me saying that he started getting the Application popups. He also started experiencing some serious problems with many of his networking applications. It was totally dorked up. I didn't even want to start tackling all the problems he was having with ESS 4.0. Fortunately, I had his OS backed up with a Ghost Image that did not contain any AV/Security applications on it. So I restored that Ghost Image after wiping/formating his drive and installed ESS 3.0 like it was prior to installing ESS 4.0.

18. DarrenDavisLeeSome

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of all the problems that ESS 4.0 (both 314 and 417 builds) are experiencing are caused by...

A well known, but often forgotten, Microsoft WinAPI (kernel32.dll) file.

In a nutshell, it's an ESET vs. Microsoft issue (and I thought they were getting married)

I shoulda known.

It was right there under my nose all the time.

Hey folks. Odds are that quite a great number of us have a great deal of xxxXX_appcompat.txt files stored in the C:\Docs and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp.

Down at the very bottom of the Notepad.

19. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The issue is under investigation. Thank you for providing detailed reports, and please continue to provide information about the environments in which you are sseing the issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

20. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Thank you very much.

21. DarrenDavisLeeSome

I have already included this in my last email to ESET Customer Care and in a PM to Rmuffler:

Killing the EGUI.EXE in the Task Manager keeps the Application popup from occuring during reboot/shutdown. Yes, no Application popup, even with the Windows Error Reporting fully enabled. Sure sounds like some modules are not shutting down properly.

22. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

To keep discussion about this specific problem in one thread, we'll draw this thread to a close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.