Should Wilders have a mobile phone security forum?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Aug 18, 2011.

?

Should Wilders have a mobile phone security forum?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. No

52 vote(s)
    57.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Title says it all.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No, because frankly there is little you can do without crippling them. It wouldn't be worth the space. Those few things that can be done don't need a forum dedicated to it, as they are covered under general security already.

3. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

NO ! Stay with computers and their associated bits and bobs. Why waste Wilder`s valuable time and expertise on ear warmers ?

4. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Voted no. Not necessary imho. Create a thread for it, but its not necessary to have a forum dedicated to it. Plenty of mobile phone related forums out on the interwebz anyway.

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

No for the same reasons.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes, because this will be a real problem with increasing mobile devices use for internet, finanace, online banking etc( smart phones, tablets etc) and very little is known to ordinary users.

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yes because as smartphones gain better and better hardware, run more sophisticated programs, and become targeted more, security on them will be a very real thing. I don't mean just installing an AV, I mean general security practices.

8. acr1965

I agree. Plus many of the mainstream security vendors are getting into the mobile security apps so it would be nice to see which ones are better at detection and have fewer operating issues. I think the majority of my friends don't even use desktops for internet surfing anymore. They can just use their smart phone when ever they want (assuming service is available, which in some rural parts service is shaky at best).

9. jumpshot

jumpshot Registered Member

If forward looking businesses see a need/market for development of such security (and they do .. AVG, Eset, Norton, Kaspersky, BitDefender, Avast!, et al), then I would appreciate the chance to compare their applications via some objective posts - from people who can think, such as Wilders members.

This would be a step up from the usual market 'user reviews', "5 stars coz it's free"; or experimenting with something that's more hindrance than help.

I'm not even contemplating using words like 'Luddite, Technophobe' here, yet. :shifty:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I voted yes. This is a security forum and with mobile devices becoming much more popular people will want to know how to secure them.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Why not?
    :D

12. icr

icr Registered Member

I guess its a rare chance that Wilders may have a dedicated Mobile forum unless some mobile security experts join this forum.

regards,
    icr ;)

13. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Why Not?
    Check This out.

14. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Nope. No reason.

15. guest

guest Guest

Yes. Same reasons as the quoted post /\

16. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Agreed. Smartphones are really little computers now.

17. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Why not.

18. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Android and iOS, the two major smartphone operating systems, are fairly secure. The malware you see targeted at Android does not require any advanced techniques. Applications are already sandboxed and run via the JVM. Root is not easy to obtain. It's a fairly secure OS.

The issue is that people are downloading socially engineered malware FROM THE MARKET. The fact is that Google can easily fix this and there's no need to load up antivirus software onto your phone. IT's so damn easy for you to avoid the malware on your own and all Google has to do is tighten up the market a bit.

19. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Malware is getting rapidly evolved, and mobile phone OS are fairly secure for the time being.
    Who knows if they will be fairly secure in the immediate future?

20. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I voted yes. Wilders is a security forum. Nowhere does it say that it's strictly a PC security forum. For all purposes, these phones are miniature computers and will eventually face all of the same problems as conventional PCs. Separating topics for mobile phones from those relating to conventional PCs would make it easier on everyone. Those looking for posts relevant to phones would be able to find them easier. Those not interested wouldn't have to sort thru material that's not relevant to them. Separating the subjects for mobile phones makes sense for both users and no users.

21. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I think the same rules apply to mobile phones as PC's, watch out for dodgy downloads, and don't leave your wireless access wide open. Maybe there could be room for mobile dedicated sections in some of the stickies, adding dedicated mobile vendors, tips to secure bluetooth & Wifi, data securing, mobile encryption, etc

22. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Yes but only for android and ios ... other os are far behind and these 2 are getting bigger day by day

23. acr1965

Yes votes are gaining somewhat lately.

24. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Yes, as said, smartphones these days are getting more and more advanced, and more and more security applications are developed and released about which experiences could be shared and I read about a in-the-wild malware for Android which uses an exploit to gain root access, so security is becoming a real thing for mobile phones.

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

The thing which is important IMO is that we are not aware about Mobile OS like windows. In windows you can run a Process Explorer to see for any unknown, malicious processes, you can run a rootkit scanner to look for any suspicious files, drivers, services etc. You can run an auto-run scanner to see any unknown start up item. Moreover one can run a FireWall or a packet sniffer to see any supicious connections.

I have no idea, how we can do it on a phone. So I fel myself blind on a phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.