Should we all be using Agnitum Outpost Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Bubble_Boy, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubble_Boy

Bubble_Boy Registered Member

Follow the link below and take a look at the table of different Firewalls and their respective features. I use Zonealarm Pro and it doesn't fair too well.

I realize this table may be biased.

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/compare.html

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

BB - Welcome to the forum.

By all means, if you're unhappy with your current firewall, try another one.

Make absolutely sure you un-install ZA according to precise instructions if you do though, okay?

i use the freeware version of OP on my back-up computer and it works fine (if you knew how old that computer was - I've had it for six years and bought it used - you'd realize how amazing that is all in itself. (Four gig HD and only 52MB of RAM, W98SE).

If you have any remnants of any other firewalls on your system, you'll probably have to remove them, too (OutPost is a jealous little thing! <g> ). HTH Pete

3. root

root Registered Member

As much as I would like to say yes to your question, I don't think so.
    Outpost is an excellent Firewall that is the best choice for many. There are a couple of other firewalls that perform excellently also, that might be a better choice for some.
    The best way to find out is to try it. If you are one of the ones that loves it at first sight, and it is compatible with your system, you will know what choice to make.
    I would like to add that although Agnitum has tried on several occasions to update the features table, it is almost impossible to get every feature right for every firewall. I think it is an honest attempt to outline the "features" of the different major firewall contenders.
    It is usefull when used with the proper perspective.

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Outpost is an excellent firewall.

In addition, ZoneAlarm provides strong defense.

As to what firewall you should be using - That's really up to the person, now isn't it?

There are many great firewalls out there, some offering more/different features. Most of the offerings that have survived the years are good choices that provide a good, if not great, defense against intruders, and although the chart put up by Agnitum *may* be a little biased, it's data is pretty sound, and, as root said, can be definitely be used (when viewed from the proper perspective, of course).

-javacool

5. casper99

casper99 Registered Member

My vote is for OP. I tried ZA & Sygate. I for one prefer OP. But like other post say, it's an individual choice. And as Spy1 said, be sure to get rid of any other firewall components before installing OP.

6. beagle42420

beagle42420 Guest

I've tried most of the firewall products, including Outpost and Outpost Pro. While the Agnitum products are good, I ended up with Kerio as the one that gave my Windows XP Home system the least amount of grief, although Look'n'Stop has a lot of promise IMHO.

7. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

I tried the Outpost FW recently. It was very configurable and one would have to have a pretty good understanding of how a firewall works in order to use it properly.
    Unfortunately, the rest of my "clan" were dumbfounded by the operation of OutPost, and thus I had to remove it. OutPost is an excellent FW, but it's not for our household !
    And I might add that when I uninstalled OutPost, it corrupted the MFC42.DLL file and disrupted the Winsock. Anybody else have that prob ?
    At this time I'm B testing ZA Pro Plus. I really like it, and it passes the PC Flank tests and is very stable !
    But My heart still belongs to Sygate PFW!!
    Regards all
    bill ;)

8. bubs

bubs Registered Member

It was very configurable and one would have to have a pretty good understanding of how a firewall works in order to use it properly.

That's interesting - I changed to it from Tiny / Kerio 'coz i though it was much more user-friendly. At the time, i was NOT confident about setting rules correctly. Its BRILLIANT GUI has taught me a lot and greatly increased my confidence in these matters.

Like any product of any kind, anybody trying it should download and read the documentation first. (General observation - not aimed at you eyespy, I promise!! :eek:)

9. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Hi bubs...
    It's a very good FW and I did like it. I didn't get to "play" around with it that much. Other users on my PC were having a tough time with it, so it got the "heaveho" !! LOL !
    regards,
    bill ;)

10. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I tried several firewalls, but stay now by OutpostPro.

Your statement: Outpost is excellent:

i fully agree! :)

the strongest defense i have ever seen in a firewall, configuration is easy for novice and "expert", and the most important: NO BUGS TILL YET ON MY MACHINE!!

Your statement: ZoneAlarm provides strong defense:

i don't agree!

ZoneAlarm provides defense, but not strong enough, and the biggest problem with ZA: FULL OF BUGS!!!!! :oops:

BTW: i tried Sygate too, is a fine firewall, but the defense is not so strong as Outpost, for an "expert" not sastisfying enough but for a novice user OK. ;)

Ciao,

Smokey

11. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I don't understand what your problems are with Outpost, when you install Outpost for the first time, you are already full protected without doing anything with the configuration!

Ciao,

Smokey :rolleyes:

12. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

What do you consider "strong defense"?

13. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Smokey,
    < I don't understand what your problems are with Outpost, when you install Outpost for the first time, you are already full protected without doing anything with the configuration!

Ciao,>

I didn't have a problem with it, actually I really liked it. But unfortunately, I am not the only user on my PC, and other family members were having trouble understanding it.
    At this time I'm b testing the newest ZA pro Plus, and happy to report...NO BUGS so far.
    Based on various testing reports and reviews, I think that ZA provides a pretty good product!!
    regards,
    bill

14. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Having some free time on my hands I downloaded and installed Outpost Pro.I have a DSL connection. When I first connected to Prodigy DSL Outpost never acknowledge the connection.I was unable to surf the internet in Rules Wizzard Policy Mode. I kept getting "unable to display page" message. Doing a little reading in Outpost Forum move the mouse over system tray Icon and it displayed "Local Host".I'm able to surf (Very Quickly, I might add) in either "allow most or block most mode". These two options fare very badly in Firewall Tests. So my Outpost Pro didn"t work too well "right after install" Where's Root when I need him? o_O o_O o_O
    Best Regards
    Tim

15. RICK

RICK Guest

16. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Preconfigured rule sets are a crutch that keeps many people from learning how to properly work a firewall.

A quote from somewhere (can't remember where) :

"A poorly configured firewall is no firewall at all."

Unless the developer has talked with me personally, there is no way he could make a ruleset that is of any value to me. Throw the preconfigured stuff away, and learn how to use a firewall. Kerio/tiny is perfect for this.

Rules rule!

17. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Unicron - I'm using L'n'S with the pre-configured 'Advanced' ruleset.

Would you try hacking me, please? (Nothing like putting your money where your mouth is, is there? :D ) Pete

18. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Pete,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there several "home made" pre-configured advanced rulesets available and distrubuted for Frederics toy? ;)

(btw: no game: LNS is - having a proper ruleset - an awesome firewall :cool: )

regards.

paul

19. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

The one I'm referring to is the one that comes with the program as the alterantive to using the 'Standard' ruleset.

Haven't really noticed any problems, vulnerabilities during its' use - but I'm open to eddumacation! ( <g> ) Pete

20. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

21. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Pete I decline your offer.

I don't feel that stuff is in the spirit of this board.

My point about the default ruleset wasn't meant to imply everybody is hackable with a default ruleset, but that these rulesets don't know what programs I run so there are not complete. How can it know that I wish to allow an ftp client to only contact 2 specific ftp sites? It can't. Therefore, if you get sent a word doc that has no virus but instructs your ftp client to secretly download one, it will do so. I have seen this happen before, and was glad I had rules specific to me. Sure you could edit it, but you know as well as me that many people won't. Also I DO run server apps and presets just get in the way.

Regarding hackability, default rulesets can increase the risk since it is allowing some traffic by default. It is possible it is allowing traffic you don't want or need. With Kerio/Tiny, no ruleset is included so you must allow every connection, specify what ports it can use, what protocols it can use, which directions it can use, whether to allow one IP, several, a range, a list or all. I let my mail client hit the net but only to my ISP's mailserver and wilders mailserver, and only on the proper ports, and only TCP. Default rulesets are pretty weak in this area.

Besides, you don't want me pounding on your box ;) Peace

22. root

root Registered Member

Hey TAG97, I'm here. Did you post at the Outpost forum about your problem?
    There have been a couple of posts lately about Outpost not displaying the correct IP when you do the mouse over the icon bit. If Outpost isn't picking up you IP, then it cannot filter the traffic to and from it. One of the things I discovered a while back was that some people using PPPoE were having problems. By switching to RASPPPoE, the problems were solved.
    If you could try that and let me know, please.
    If you're still having problems, post at the Agnitum forum in the Support and Troubleshooting section, and we'll see what's going on.
    regards
    root

23. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Hi Root:
    How does one change from PPPoE to RASPPPoE?
    Regards
    Tim

24. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Excellent question, TAG97!

I recently tried to switch over to OutPost Pro and totally failed - none of my browsrs could communicate, even though I had authorized them to do so (I didn't have this problem on my old computer with the free OP ).

The other question that immediately comes to mind is - what impact will switching to RASPPPoE have on anything else you already have? Pete

25. root

root Registered Member

TAG97, I'm not sure as I'm on a 56k dialup. One of the members gave this page for a download. I hope it's not in German.
    http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/#Download
    Looks like there are instructions in the download zip.
    If you still need help, please post at the Outpost forum.
    http://www.agnitum.com/forum/
    You will get more help there from people that know more than I do about this type connection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.