Should The OA Hints Learning thread continue?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Escalader, Mar 7, 2008.

?

Should the Hints on Using OA 2 FW/HIPS Continue?

Poll closed Apr 6, 2008.
  1. No

22.2%
  2. Yes

77.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello Learning thread posters:

Before actively resuming the learning thread ( yes, I'm have been the "guinea" pig) I wanted to know the will of the viewers and posters.

If I go forward, it would not deal with OA free or OA AV+ ( the KAV version) but would use the latest release 2.1.0.95 paid or if you wanted to trial version it.

Let me know please be candid.

2. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I am not going to vote since the poll is public and if everyone sees me saying no they will believe its because of my fanboyism for comodo. So i will lay out my reasons in a post.

First of all why does OA get a hints thread? Why not Comodo, Outpost, Kerio etc.. get one?

All three of those firewalls have much more possible options to tweak yet they do not need a hints thread? So should OA get a hints thread because it has a lack of tweaking options to make it look like it has plenty of options to tweak? For example NOD32 also has a similar hints thread but it has a reason..its possible to tweak it to the max. Sure there is nothing wrong with a hints thread but why here at wilders? Why not at OA's own forum? I am sure the majority of firewall users here at wilders use OA which could be a reason for it getting its own hints thread. But is it fair a majority of users should get the choice?

Sorry for turning this into the U.S elections but as i said before the majority of wilders users use OA so i doubt anyone else will have a voice.
    The thread is not hurting anyone so i guess its ok to continue it.

The hints thread is already 11 pages long. That is more than all the comodo release threads put together, how many more hints can you find?

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

4. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

5. pitzelberger

pitzelberger Registered Member

Majority of firewall users at wilders has a hardware router, closely followed by OA and Comodo, both on place 2. [Firewall Poll - 2008]

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

It is a thread started by a member. This is intended for interaction between users of that specific firewall and for anyone who may think of using that firewall.
    As mentioned by WSFuser other such threads have been created, I personally see no problems with these as they give insight into basic questions which most would avoid asking.

If you personally have a need for a learning thread on a firewall (not already started), then why not start one? I will have no problem with installing the firewall and making interaction with such a thread, regardless of the firewall.

For me, the more info on firewalls the better, and I do think that a lot of basic knowledge is missing. (no disrespect to anyone)

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I guess the reason would be Escalador wanted to do it. He had another similiar thread on a different firewall.

Second, there is no reason you couldn't do something similiar on, Comodo, and see if there is interest.

Pete

8. Escalader

Hi Pete:

That is correct, we have had a series of Learning Threads over the last year.

Readers should see this post which has the links:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1198395&postcount=3

I'm not in a position to reopen the CFW LT myself as I'm using OA. But someone else can start one I see no issue with that. If one opened it could be interesting to the CFW users here.

9. Escalader

Hi WSFuser:

Thanks for your post.

For me personally, the LT may provide some learning but it would be more to help other members optimize security in OA in advanced mode.

Based only on the early poll count, the mark is only a C.

My feeling is that is not strong enough to continue. But I will wait since the poll open for 30 days.

See you later! :thumb:

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Escalader

Not sure a poll is a good determinent. If you enjoy doing it and it helps one person, to me it doesn't matter if 10 say stop. Go by your gut feel, and then you will know when to stop.

Pete

11. Escalader

Hi Pete:

Yes I like your point. :cool:

Okay, I will use the poll as 1 determinant.:thumb:

No rush plenty of time.

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Escalader,

Well, you will notice I have not voted, why, because it is not up to me if such a leaning thread should continue or not, it is up to you and/or other members who want to spend time sharing/learning how they find such applications and posting to such a thread.

For me personally, if you want to continue, then please do. If you prefer not to, then no problem.

13. Escalader

Hi Stem:

Thanks for your post.:cool:

I did not expect you in your role to vote and quite understand it is my call to continue in the thread as it is for others. I'm just taking the temperature as so much time has gone by since it started.

I have not voted myself.

14. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thank you so much for starting the OA learning thread! And thank you for all the time/work you put in it!

I bought a 2 year license a few days ago. (No AV). I have used and tested a few different security applications but never used a firewall other than the one built in XP.

No matter the result of this poll I would be happy to see you keep going, and so would many other members too. If we dont post in the learning thread it does not mean we are not reading and learning.

If you read this you know what I voted :D

15. Escalader

Hello tepe2:

Thank you for voting. The poll is just one factor for me to consider in carrying on. It is open for 30 days total.

In the meantime, I will continue to post "learnings" but I'm hoping others will post questions as well, or if they prefer PM me the question if that is preferable and I can post the matter as either a "learning" or a question/concern. Not everybody wants the exposure of posing questions and that I understand. In my case questions are "expected" :D

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi, Have you considered continuing your thread for the folks who are non techies with an insufficient knowledge of firewalls etc. and who understand little about how to work with a FW? An example: how to write a rule, and how do you know what to include when you make the rule. Are there different kinds of rules? I always feel like a person going to the movies and walking in at the middle of the movie. I don't know the plot so I can't really enjoy the show. :)

17. Escalader

Hmmm yes, I see what you are saying. Let me consider the matter a bit it may be a different thread that is needed for that kind of learning. :cool:

18. Escalader

Well the poll closed and it produced 77% for continuing it. But as well this post and a few others have convinced me to carry on a bit longer.

I do need more question from readers only, if you are shy to post one send me a PM and I'll take the rap for it! Not a problem!

19. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Still one of the "must reads" for me when I get the chance to pop-in. Good to see that it will continue.... :D :D :D

20. Escalader

Hi Monty:

Many readers, few posters, but that is okay.:thumb:

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hey, how about the new v.130. Mike fixed the e-mail bug that was preventing us from receiving e-mail, and had a new version out in 2 days. How many other companies would have a problem fixed in only 2 days. :D

22. Escalader

Hi:

FWIW, twl845, I didn't hit that bug. What email client was it?

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Mine is Microsoft Outlook 2003, but I understand OE was affected too.

24. Escalader

Hmmm, interesting as I have M$ Outlook 2003 as well, yet I had no bug.:doubt:

Are you using OA 2 AV + which is the KAV version? There are no doubt many differences between our configuations.

This may remain a mystery.

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Nope, just the FW. As I said, there were other folks affected. But the new build fixed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.